Hongi island keepers, question about coloring.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this fish yesterday, ( I have been expanding my tanks and switching stock around, hence all the posts) and from what I know it's a male, although it is displaying femalesc colors. I know that Juveniles will display sub dominant colors. My question, is this how most juveniles look? I'm very happy with the yellow, although I would like the sky blue body to come in. Is this normal? Do I have a bad strain? Should I expect it to stay purple? Or will it lighten up, show more blue, as it matures. I have no experience with this fish, and google hasn't been able to answer these questions. It's about an inch and a half right now. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396311584.288149.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396311592.421420.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396311601.163755.jpg

If anyone checks this, and wants to know the answer, yes this is normal. He started showing that white/sky blue coloring last night. It's amazing how much their colors can change, went from brown/purple to white/blue, then back again. Will try to get some pics. Really good looking fish.

Yea my guy changes his color up pretty quick wish he was more dominant so he always show good color but my ice blue keeps him colored down unless he flares up at another fish.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea my guy changes his color up pretty quick wish he was more dominant so he always show good color but my ice blue keeps him colored down unless he flares up at another fish.

It's quite amazing how fast they change. I'll pull the camera out, and it's gone.

In that pic it's about an inch and a half. It's about three and a half now but it's not dominate so it's not very colorful anymore

What kind of tank mates do you have?
Mines one of my smallest fish, but the only other Mbuna is a Snow White. The rest are Haps, and Peacocks. He's colored up pretty regularly now.

My guy

Attachments

• 1398404060417.jpg
    1398404060417.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom