Hoplarchus Psittacus (Parrot Cichlid)??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozmo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to swap some fish and amongst this deal is apparently a Hoplarchus Psittacus (Parrot Cichlid).

What do you think? Is this a Parrot Cichlid? Aprox 13-15 cm now...

image-4172982233.jpg

image-878412251.jpg

This is not a parrot cichlid also called blood cichlid.

Can be up to 8-12 inches

Attachments

• image-1508282959.jpg
    image-1508282959.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1582957931.jpg
    image-1582957931.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 103
Somebody else will surely know better than me, but all the pictures I have found show the parrot cichlid to have more spots along its lateral line.

Your fish is beautiful though!

Fishie said:
This is not a parrot cichlid also called blood cichlid.

Hmm... you need to do a little more research before posting.

The Parrot Cichlid is not the same as the Blood Parrot which is a hybrid.

EDIT: Whoops!! Sorry Fishie. Only just now saw your correction of yourself. No worries :)

Your picture is of a jewel cichlid. I can't remember there scientific name or whatever but they can get 6 inches in a tank and are African so there aggressive of course. From what I know there from many rivers and streams in and around south Africa.

iheartmyed9 said:
Your picture is of a jewel cichlid. I can't remember there scientific name or whatever but they can get 6 inches in a tank and are African so there aggressive of course. From what I know there from many rivers and streams in and around south Africa.

Jewels are red with blue highlights. They turn even brighter red when ready to mate.

Digidave said:
Jewels are red with blue highlights. They turn even brighter red when ready to mate.

oh well here's my jewel cichlid. They get there deep red the older they get. Mine is 2"

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111206_214903.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111206_214903.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 63
  • ForumRunner_20111206_214939.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111206_214939.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 81
Yeah it's definitely not a Jewel and definitely not African. It has the distinctive thumb print of many South American Cichlids and definitely has the body and head shape of a Parrot IMO.

Either way the guy wants me to swap a regular JD for it so when I get "it" I'll post more pics and be able to look at it a little closer.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:
iheartmyed9 said:
oh well here's my jewel cichlid. They get there deep red the older they get. Mine is 2"

Yep mines the same but the blue shows up more as they get older and theyvtendto sparkle like jewels

Anyone else have any experience with Hoplarchus Psittacus (Parrot Cichlid)?

Definitely not a jewel, I agree.

I do not have personal experience with the REAL parrot cichlid, but I believe it's a fairly rare fish, so very cool if you get your hands on one! However, the fish pictured doesn't look like one to me. My guess is that it is a Hypsophrys nicaraguensis. Here is a profile: Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

A google image search of nicaraguensis turns up a lot of pics that look like that fish too. Hope this helps! :)

Back
Top Bottom