How can I tone down my Jewels aggresiveness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've tried buying 2 new fish to put in the same tank as my jewel. 1) GT got scared so bad he hid in a corner the whole time >returned< 2) Venestus either had bad fin rot or fought to the death >Dead< Help

1) 10g
2) Do you mean add jewel females or just add some female cichlids? How can I tell what sex my jewel is?

Actually, I wouldn't add anything to that tank. If you can get him/her into a bigger tank this will resolve its aggression. I think the minimum for jewels is 30-40 gallons. If you can't get a bigger tank, you might consider rehoming him or her? Good luck :)

meese-a-mew said:
Im thinking of rehoming my jewel. Thanks

No problem! There are some nice fish you could do in that size tank. If you really want cichlids, there ARE cichlids you can keep in that. Just do a quick Google for dwarf cichlids. If it were me, id do a pair of Tanganyika shell dwellers.

What tank are you planning to rehome the jewel too?

IMO you need to do a bit of research, that fact you had a Jewel in a 10g is worrying, never mind that you add 2 more fish including a GT. Take your time, do some reading up on fish and there requirements, it pays off in the end as you will not have all the stress you must have had lately. Speak to the guys in your local shop, tell them the honest size of your tank and ask them what would be suitable for it.

There not really any cichlids that can cope with a 10g unless you are prepared to put the work in, a single pair of smaller sized Apistogramma can work in a 10g, but I wouldn't recommended them as in a tank that size you really have to be prepared to put a lot of work in, tests, water changes, getting the pH right and the tank must be fully established.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom