How do you know how much to feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
M paranoid about overfeeding and bloat so I don't feed often. However, how much do you feed at each feeding, I don't wanna starve em either!

Obviously it depends on how many fish but do you use the general rule that as long as the flake isn't reaching the bottom to give them more or does that not apply to Africans?

Thanks.

i give mine tetra colour discs (1 disc about the same as 1 med flake), and if i have a mbuna in a qt i give it about 5-8 pieces. if there's 10 adult mbunas in a reg tank id give a pinch maybe equal to 25 pieces. 5 mbunas, about 15 pieces. i find when there is more of them they eat less and get fuller quicker, dont ask me why haha.

i like to think of it as they eat until the get disinterested. i feed for two days then skip one, most weeks. so find the point they start to wander off and stick to around that amount :) xx

When I kept mbuna, I gave them 1-2 (or was it 2-3?) 1mm NLS pellets once every 2-3 days. The problem with most fish is that they don't simply stop eating when they get full. Because fish are oppotunistic, they will eat much more than they should. If they start looking skinny, sick, etc.. you should probably feed a little more.

When I kept mbuna, I gave them 1-2 (or was it 2-3?) 1mm NLS pellets once every 2-3 days. The problem with most fish is that they don't simply stop eating when they get full. Because fish are oppotunistic, they will eat much more than they should. If they start looking skinny, sick, etc.. you should probably feed a little more.
How about juveniles?

Aspencer said:
How about juveniles?

I go by what the video link suggests. Babies I feed 3x a day, juvies and adults I feed 2x a day but I skip 1 day a week.

Back
Top Bottom