How Does My Stock List Look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I figured as much, but it's always nice to have a second opinion. The feeding less but more often will be hard because of work. Any other suggestions or other things I can do/try?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rearranging the decor often. And feeding them so they aren't hungry. It's when they get hungry that you see problems. They view similar colored fish as competition so try to bump em off.
Keeping the lights off during new add periods is another recommendation, but I don't like doing that. I want to keep my eye on them.

It looks like Aulonocara nyassae to me. But I could be wrong. These peacocks look so similar, and are often mislabeled. Wait and see, but judging by it's coloring and anal fin, I think it's a nyassae

You may be right.....he may be a Nyassae. I guess I will just have to wait and see. Although I really hope he turns out to be a Ngara, as that's what I originally planned on :banghead:

Rearranging the decor often. And feeding them so they aren't hungry. It's when they get hungry that you see problems. They view similar colored fish as competition so try to bump em off.
Keeping the lights off during new add periods is another recommendation, but I don't like doing that. I want to keep my eye on them.

Oddly enough, I noticed the aggression right after I fed them :nono:. I will see if they are doing any better today when I feed them after work.

I do plan to go get some more rocks this weekend to make more caves. Fingers crossed that when I add more caves/fish, there will be less aggression between my Eureka/Carolina, and my Cape Maclear.

Hey any thoughts on "Aulonocara hansbaenschi Red Flash?"
The place I want to order fish from does not have the Blue Fire Fish in stock, and suggested this instead. I fear that he may look too similar to my Nyassae/Ngara though. Thanks for your input!

The smallest guy in my tank is a ngara im excited to see how he grows up. I got him from a kid in my city for $2 off classifieds. He breeds his, and has hundreds of fry.
The male looks amazing too.
Still not sure if I have a male, pretty sure, but not 100% I have a pretty good eye, and he has the signs for a male. I'm going to vent it when he's a little bigger.

$2!!! WOW! Now why can't I find awesome deals like that. I did see someone selling peacocks that he breeds kind of near me on craigslist, but his tanks were too overcrowded in the pictures I saw. So I feared for the health of the fish he had. They are so much cheaper than my LFS though haha.

So I just got word that Butch from SE Cichlids just got some Aulonocara Maylandi in last week!! So I've decided to replace the Blue Fire Fish with the Maylandi. Here's what my final stock list looks like.

1. Aulonocara lwanda
2. Aulonocara Mamela Lemon Jake
3. Otopharynx Tetrastigma
4. Aulonocara Maulana Bi Color
5. Sciaenochromis fryeri Iceberg
6. Placidochromis electra Likoma Deep Water Hap
7. Aulonocara Ruby Red
8. Aulonocara Maylandi
9. OB Hybrid Peacock
10. Dragon Blood / Firefish
11. Red Empress
12. Benga Sunshine
13. Taiwan Reef Peacock
14. Eureka Red Jake
15. Aulonocara Nyassae
16. Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Cape Maclear
17. Otopharynx lithobates Zimbawe Rock
4 Synodontis Petricola
*Thinking about possibly adding 6 Australian Rainbowfish based off of your video! Do you think I would be too overstocked here?

I think I am happy with it, and I may even have room for possibly 1-2 more? What do you think of my final list?

*Sidenote
What/how many tanks of cichlids do you have? Stock list?

I sold my rainbows to make room for more cichlids. They are pretty heart little fish though. Id get the stock you have squared away, and if it's manageable think about adding the extra 1-2.
I have in my 55

Haplochromis fryeri

Lethrinops intermedius

Lethrinops Itungi

Aulonocara baenschi

Aulonocara hansbaenschi

Aulonocara maylandi

Aulonocara "german red"

Aulonocara stuartgranti

Aulonocara sp. Lwanda

Aulonocara sp. Ruby red

Nimbochromis fuscotaneatus

Otopharanx lithobates

Pundamilia Nyererie Makobe Super red

Labidochromis sp. Hongi

Psuedotropheus albino socolofi

Tropheus moliro

I also have a tropical 30 with

German Rams
Cardinal Tetras
Glowlight Tetras
Celebese Rainbowfish
GloFish
Rainbow shark
Paradise Gourami
Gold Gourami
Dwarf gourami
Clown Pleco

I have a red mail crown tail betta with 2 African dwarf frogs in a 2.5 as well.

I used to breed Kenyi's in my 55.
And my first fish was a Jack Dempsey that I just rehomed this year, he was 12 years old, and GRUMPY!

I would love to find another aulonocara chitande type masinje, and a blue neon.
I really want to get a 75 or 90 and add a Red Empress, borleyi, and a venestus.

Venestus are sick! I wish I could get one but my tank won't allow it. Eventually I want to set up a 120 or larger. I also love GBR's but have had little success keeping them alive for long. I know it has to do with my hard water!

So you're saying add my remaining stock first, then see if I can do with the rainbows, or don't add the rainbows at all?

How is your Labidochromis? Any aggression issues? I would love to add a yellow top mbamba or the albino socolofi.

I get more aggression from the albino socolofi and Makobe than the Hongi.but he still has his moments. Right now the electric blue, and lethrinops intermedius keep everyone in line, although the lethrinops HATES the Makobe. The Fusco is going to ultimately be the #1, hell definitely be the biggest. They have a reputation of being a really good referee, close cousin of a venestus.

I think you have the right number for an overstock right now. I would get comfortable with that and the amount of maintenance it will take before adding more, because you could have problems.

I'm really excited to see how my current batch turns out. Most if em are still pretty small as you saw in the video. I'll make changes then if I need too. I'm worried my German red isn't going to turn out too hot. But well see. I have had fish surprise me. They will be ugly, and won't color, and then one day they're just like BOOM, and stay that way.

I get more aggression from the albino socolofi and Makobe than the Hongi.but he still has his moments. Right now the electric blue, and lethrinops intermedius keep everyone in line, although the lethrinops HATES the Makobe. The Fusco is going to ultimately be the #1, hell definitely be the biggest. They have a reputation of being a really good referee, close cousin of a venestus.

I think you have the right number for an overstock right now. I would get comfortable with that and the amount of maintenance it will take before adding more, because you could have problems.

Yea, I hear ya. Better to take things slow and see how they go. Sucks because I was planning on grabbing some Australians today but oh well.

I was gonna get a fusco but heard they can get to be a foot long so I decided against it. I hope I have a peacemaker and not a bully with my soon to be new additions!

I would love to find another aulonocara chitande type masinje, and a blue neon.
I really want to get a 75 or 90 and add a Red Empress, borleyi, and a venestus.

What about the masinje do you like so much? And I would also love a blue neon! I'm going to ask Butch if he has any haha.

What other fish do have in your goldfish tank? How about telling us more about your tank:
  • size tank
  • other fish present
  • temp
  • ammonia
  • nitrite
  • nitrate
  • ph
  • what king of goldfish

Goldfish are not considered a community fish. They are cold water fish (most other aquarium fish are tropical species), and they produce alot of waste. They are also typicaly herbivores requiring lots of plant matter in there diet.

Sorry I didn't notice the 5g reference. There is no goldfish that is suitable for a 5g tank. That is almost certainly the problem.

Funny, I have an empty 10g and 5g that I was thinking of converting into Betta tanks haha. How do the frogs do with him? Any special requirements or needs?

Ok idk why the above post quoted a very random post. I'm not even subscribed to that thread haha.

I'm really excited to see how my current batch turns out. Most if em are still pretty small as you saw in the video. I'll make changes then if I need too. I'm worried my German red isn't going to turn out too hot. But well see. I have had fish surprise me. They will be ugly, and won't color, and then one day they're just like BOOM, and stay that way.

I know what you mean. I saw a small Benga with absolutely no color grow up to be a MONSTER! Be sure to keep me updated as they start to color up.

For sure, the frogs do fine with the betta. It's pretty cool. Masinje's are so rare is part of it, but that whole line of chitande is gorgeous. I like the color of masinje a lot though.
Right now I'm trying to figure out why my electric blue is hiding so much.

For sure, the frogs do fine with the betta. It's pretty cool. Masinje's are so rare is part of it, but that whole line of chitande is gorgeous. I like the color of masinje a lot though.
Right now I'm trying to figure out why my electric blue is hiding so much.

Sorry to hear about your electric blue. It always sucks when you don't know what's wrong with your fish! If all goes well, I should be ordering fish tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know how everything goes.

Back
Top Bottom