How fast do discus grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattefect

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I hve a 55 gal tank with 2 green discus 2, 2 bala sharks, 2 black mollies, 1 african knife fish 1 Cory and 1 pleco. I've had all these fish for about 5 months. When I bought my discus they were a little bit smaller than what thy are now but their still small. I would like to know how fast discus grow. Oh I feed them tetra granulars. Thanks

Mattefect said:
Hey guys I hve a 55 gal tank with 2 green discus 2, 2 bala sharks, 2 black mollies, 1 african knife fish 1 Cory and 1 pleco. I've had all these fish for about 5 months. When I bought my discus they were a little bit smaller than what thy are now but their still small. I would like to know how fast discus grow. Oh I feed them tetra granulars. Thanks

I am not sure on the growth rate but your stocking plan needs some serious looking in to. I would get rid of all those fish except the 2 discus and add 4-6 more cories.

Discus require high protein constant feedings while juveniles in order to grow out, and require a minimum of 10 gallons of space per adult, with a 55 being the smallest tank with no mates. Typically everyone does this in a bare bottom tank for easy cleanup.
Your stock list definitely needs some reworking,

you got a couple of fish that are gonna get huge i agree with mogurako and maybe add one more discus and add 4 cories

Ok but I've had my pleco for long cause it originally belonged to my brother so about 1.5 years and he hasn't grown since we bought it so I dont think it's ganna get big.

Just keep him well fed. I had a Pleco kill two oscars so image the damage it will do to discus

Stocking issues aside, feed them beef heart. Discus need lots of protein to grow well.

Beef heart ?? And what must I
Do take out my bala's??

See if there's a local fish store that can take all the fish except the discus. Discus are shy fish that need to be kept with their own kind so they don't become stressed. They aren't fond of a lot of swift movement that a bala shark can do. Not to mention the water conditions of all those fish are different. For a discus to stay healthy and grow properly they require extremely clean water and a very good diet with high proteins. Mollies prefer brackish water so keeping them in fresh water can shorten their life span. The African Knife will grow pretty large and in order to keep the discus, a 55g will not be large enough to keep all the fish in and be happy. Hope this helps

Guys I agree the bala's need to go but you all say the African knife is going to grow huge but ur all thinking of s royal clown knife fish my African knife it about 3 inches and has stayed like that for 1 yr now

Guys I agree the bala's need to go but you all say the African knife is going to grow huge but ur all thinking of s royal clown knife fish my African knife it about 3 inches and has stayed like that for 1 yr now

Nope if we are talking about Xenomystus Nigri they can reach sizes of 12".

In 5 months your discus should be approaching 5-6" by now. Sounds like they are getting stunted (sorry).

My latest discus juvies have doubled in size from 2" to nearly 4" in 3weeks. They are finally starting to recognize me and come rushing over when I feed them begging for food.

My setup: 4discus 30g long barebottom tank, they have a 55 and an 80g waiting for them as they grow... But for now, 30g is easier to clean. They are a very social fish, so they won't mind the tight spaces until they start pairing.

Their diet:
6x prime reef flakes (50+% protein) - electronic feeder
1x super color (40+% protein) -- in the morning
2x beef heart -- 2 hours before water change
1x blood worm during water change as a distraction

Also, they need ultra clean water for proper growth. So with all that food going through them, 50% water change daily.

Make sure you temp match the water... Ohh almost forgot: discus temp: 85F. Keep them there they are happier, more active, and hungrier. (faster metabolism)

My filters.. G6 & penguin 350 on a 30 gallon. Will remove the g6 soon although I like the combo as they don't generate a lot of water movement but are rated at 150g & 75g respectively. Plus the hob penguin generates high o2.

Lighting is low-medium 10k marine land double bright led with blue nightlight.

I also just moved them in front of a window (typically a big no-no) but they love the sunlight! Always playing in it?? Wierd. Anyway, with DWC.. No algae has taken hold in a week, so I'm going to leave it and see what happens!

Oh btw; balas will definately out pace the discus at feeding time.. Move everyone else into another tank.

Keep the cores if they can handle discus heat (Cory Sterbai)

Oh thanks yea I'm trying to sell my balas and is there a way to un stunt the discus if I should say ?

It's hard for me to know if they are stunted without seeing them.. Anyway to get a photo? Don't give up hope yet, especially if they don't have full colors.

Are they hiding & turning dark? Or actively begging for food?

As far as out growing a stunted discus... A stunted discus is a fish who was supposed to be growing but didn't. It's time lost. Hopefully if you get them on a good diet and schedule they'll start growing again and get to a nice size.. But there is always the possibility they missed the boat.

For example, my first discus -fido- is stunted for life. I didn't know enough about the species when I bought him. He was 2" with full color when I bought him.. Which means his breeder didn't know enough either. 5 mo later he is still the same. He'll never get any bigger. It doesn't change the fact he is cool, and will always have a happy home in my tank. I learned a lot from him.

Ok took some pictures of my discus today but they were very shy today for some reason normally they come to me. Best I could do

Attachments

• image-3903542378.jpg
    image-3903542378.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image-720632704.jpg
    image-720632704.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3181116617.jpg
    image-3181116617.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 155
  • image-2812927827.jpg
    image-2812927827.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3254356000.jpg
    image-3254356000.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 139
  • image-2782638944.jpg
    image-2782638944.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3637682907.jpg
    image-3637682907.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 117
So good news although it's hard to make out color with your lighting.. It's seems as if your fish don't have their adult coloring? If so that's good.. They are probably still pretty young.

Your setup looks almost identical to my first setup. I definitely advise you to get on CL, grab a 40g breeder, and a cheap hob filter (WITH BIO), and buy a reliable heater from eBay.. I love the marineland 250 PRO, usually NIB around $25 shipped. Make sure you cycle the filter!!

Do you have a water changer or a python? What is your tap water like? Ammo? Chorine? Ph?

Do you have a local Petco? They sell "prime reef" flakes for ~$7. I use them as a staple, and I understand a lot of discus owners do as well. Are they eating beef heart? Or just blood worms?

Y must I buy a breeder ? If their still young ? And I live in Johannesburg so no petco

Breeders are more common where I am.. Which means cheaper. Anything will do, as long as you can clean it easily & it gives then room to grow.

Prime reef is good bc of it's high protein.. Over 50%; look for something equivalent.

One seems to be developing a boney forehead and a triangular shaped body. Be watchful of that.. Says to me they should be growing faster than they are now.

Back
Top Bottom