How long can fish last in a bag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcock

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long have you kept fish in a bag? I need to pick up some fish today but the store is about 4 hours from home? Will they make it and what can I do to ensure they stay alive?

I bought fish in Portland, Oregon and took them to Madras, two hours. Get bigger plastic bag, double bag it in case it leaks, put in paper bag. Remember that lfs get their fish shipped to them. Be sure to acclimate them slowly with temperature and pH in mind.

If captured and bagged properly they'll be fine, I ship fish all over the United States with express mail which is 2-3 days and they're just fine.

For a 8 hour round trip for fish I would prefer to have them shipped, it's cost you under $10 and save a whole lot of time and gas money.

Do you have an insulated cooler type bag/box? They keep heat in as well as out so it should keep the temperature steady as well as being dark.

I'm not here solely for fish but I have found some fish I would like in my travels. I do have a cooler with me. Should I ask the store to bag all fish separate or lump them all in one big bag?

pcock said:
I'm not here solely for fish but I have found some fish I would like in my travels. I do have a cooler with me. Should I ask the store to bag all fish separate or lump them all in one big bag?

Probably separate. That way the oxygen isn't getting used up as fast... But don't hold me to that lol.

I would have them separately bagged, just like the fish stores online send out their fish. Gives them more air and more water to foul. lol

Seriously, I think they should be ok, just take extra care in temp acclimation and acc them slow. :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick replies guys? One more question is there any value in bag buddies or anything like that? Or should I just save my money?

I know the name is hilarious!!! They are dissolving pellets that are supposed to help reduce stress in fish being transported. They supposedly keep ammonia levels down and oxygenate water.

I know the name is hilarious!!! They are dissolving pellets that are supposed to help reduce stress in fish being transported. They supposedly keep ammonia levels down and oxygenate water.

Skip it and save your money for road trip snacks like Slim Jim's.

Skip it and save your money for road trip snacks like Slim Jim's.

This.

I once had someone tell me I didn't take care in packing our fish because I don't use bag buddies. I looked at my oxygen tank and laughed. ;)

severum mama said:
This.

I once had someone tell me I didn't take care in packing our fish because I don't use bag buddies. I looked at my oxygen tank and laughed. ;)

Its better then what Walmart does, they put a few drops in with the fish that they say makes the fish high so that its less stressed out..

They do that at a bunch of lfs here the only place that doesnt is a not so lfs and they have a huge selection but its is a 2 hour drive

Back
Top Bottom