How many africans in a 50gall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The type you decide will be a decision maker. If you get something that grows to 10" you won't be able to do many. The types you mentioned you will be able to do between 15-20. The more in that range the more overstocked you will be and that's a good thing if your doing mbuna

Malawi Freak said:
Don't add more. You're already overstocked.

As long as ur doing weekly water changes u should be good and as long as u have great filtration u should be even better me and my other friends with cichlid tanks keep 25 to 30 to cut down on aggression

xfactor6699 said:
As long as ur doing weekly water changes u should be good and as long as u have great filtration u should be even better me and my other friends with cichlid tanks keep 25 to 30 to cut down on aggression

You can do 2 weekly water changes and have a 55 gallon sump and it's still overstocked.

Malawi Freak said:
You can do 2 weekly water changes and have a 55 gallon sump and it's still overstocked.

U want it a little overstock it helps with aggression ive never had any problems i run a rena xp3 rated for 175g on my 55g and do 20%water changes and my levels are perfect ever time...havent lost any fish

U want it a little overstock it helps with aggression ive never had any problems i run a rena xp3 rated for 175g on my 55g and do 20%water changes and my levels are perfect ever time...havent lost any fish

I'm not experienced enough to know, but I thought this was mainly for mbuna...not the more peaceful peacocks.

Corrupted said:
I'm not experienced enough to know, but I thought this was mainly for mbuna...not the more peaceful peacocks.

I was going off of Malawi freaks comment in the beginning and he was talking about mbuna

This is bad advice here. The original question is for a 50G. Those measurements are 36x18x19. Not even close to big enough for more than 20 cichlids.

That 55 G that drops down to 13" in depth is even worse for 30 full grown cichlids.

Malawi Freak said:
This is bad advice here. The original question is for a 50G. Those measurements are 36x18x19. Not even close to big enough for more than 20 cichlids.

That 55 G that drops down to 13" in depth is even worse for 30 full grown cichlids.

MF is right... You have to think about when they get bigger also. And just because other people stuff 30 fish in a tank doesn't mean it's right either. Also just because your water conditions are fine doesn't mean your fish are... Overcrowding, no where to hide, always bumping into each other, all those factors are gonna cause stress and with stress comes disease TRUST ME I KNOW!

So do yourself and your fish a favor and don't overstock. Your fish will thank you for it.

I learned the hard way...The REAL hard way, don't go down that same road.

i would agree with around 20 cichlids, it gives enough numbers to help with aggression, i guess you wouldnt even really call it overstocking since its how mbuna are supposed to be kept :) no more then 20

Harryhorse said:
I'm running a canister filter,1000lhr do use think that will be ok or should I add another

What brand filter is it and what type of media do you have. It should be enough but it is recommended to have 10x's the filtration. For your tank it would be recommended at 1900l/hr.

Malawi Freak said:
What brand filter is it and what type of media do you have. It should be enough but it is recommended to have 10x's the filtration. For your tank it would be recommended at 1900l/hr.

Cool thx freak.aqua 1000 I have media pad bio balls ceramic noodles an a bag off coral in there to raise the ph

Malawi Freak said:
The type you decide will be a decision maker. If you get something that grows to 10" you won't be able to do many. The types you mentioned you will be able to do between 15-20. The more in that range the more overstocked you will be and that's a good thing if your doing mbuna

Seriously, 15-20 Labs/Peacocks in a 50 gallon tank? Wow, I would not have thought that many. That's good news to know.

Seriously, 15-20 Labs/Peacocks in a 50 gallon tank? Wow, I would not have thought that many. That's good news to know.

am I crazy or are people having 2 different conversations. Peacocks are not mbuna. The recommendation seems geared towards people who have the more aggressive mbuna. Peacocks are relatively peaceful and will not benefit from being overstocks...they will just be overstocked.

Back
Top Bottom