How many cichlids in a 36 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick2e12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there, I am new to all this and I have been doing my research on how to start a new tank. But the one thing I had trouble finding was how many cichlids I can put in my 36 gallon tank. Please help!

Yeah I know that haha. But I just need a general estimate of how many.

Not too much. If you're looking at a smaller variety, I have heard they don't do too well in pairs, and it would be good to keep at least 3. But it still depends what type of African you want. Some are small, some big with different aggressiveness levels.
You would need a very good filters as they tend to be messy, and a good series of water changes.
I heard you can get a maximum of 6 in a 30-40 gallon tank, and would need a powerful filter(around 5-10 times the load) and a lot of water changes. Give me the species you want, and i can determine for you how many you would need to avoid territorial or pair disputes.

I think the mbunas are nice, the peacocks are beautiful. It all just depends what kind you'd like.

You can probably get 8 as long as they are about 5in
No, not with a 36 gallon tank. What you're telling him is to overstock the tank at it's maximum capacity. If you get 8 at 5'', then you would need a filter that can filter over 10 times the payload, with water changes every day/Other day.
Cichlids are dirty fish, and need room to swim and hide.
I suggest at most 6, if not 3 is fine.

I suppose but by the inch a gal rule u could get 7 correct

No, not with a 36 gallon tank. What you're telling him is to overstock the tank at it's maximum capacity. If you get 8 at 5'', then you would need a filter that can filter over 10 times the payload, with water changes every day/Other day.
Cichlids are dirty fish, and need room to swim and hide.
I suggest at most 6, if not 3 is fine.

Don't you think that three is not enough to fill a tank especially for one who wants to enjoy the fish plus with only three they will be much more aggressive

Well lets see here. In a 36 gallon you can have 0 African cichlids. Minimum is 55 gallonsfor them. Inch per gallon isn't correct at all. Of you want cichlids look into a pair of German rams. You could do them, some Cory's, some rumynose tetras, and an anglefish. Please, if you aren't positive your advice is correct, don't give it. You coul say "have some others back me up" or "I'm not sure..." But don't give incorrect advice

Don't you think that three is not enough to fill a tank especially for one who wants to enjoy the fish plus with only three they will be much more aggressive
Not really. If you get 2 of them, they will not thrive, unless they pair. Much rather get 1 instead of 6. They will not be more aggressive at all with 3, they will be much more aggressive at 6, why? because of territorial disputes. I really wouldn't understand why you would put that much fish in that small tank.

Well lets see here. In a 36 gallon you can have 0 African cichlids. Minimum is 55 gallonsfor them. Inch per gallon isn't correct at all. Of you want cichlids look into a pair of German rams. You could do them, some Cory's, some rumynose tetras, and an anglefish. Please, if you aren't positive your advice is correct, don't give it. You coul say "have some others back me up" or "I'm not sure..." But don't give incorrect advice
+1
Also, If you put 7 in a 36 gallon tank, i suppose it would be like putting 1 Oscar in a 2 gallon tank. It will pollute the water in a matter of time and will be extremely hard to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom