How many cichlids in a 55 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone. I recently acquired a 55 gal tank. I already have all my filtration gear, lights, heater, rocks for hiding places, etc. How many cichlids can I fit in this tank? I don't want any giant monster cichlids, like a jack Dempsey. I would prefer a large and colorful variety. Any suggestions? How many can I squeeze in there? I'm very adamant on doing weekly water changes, but don't want to do more than that due to overstocking. My filtration would consist of: 306 fluval canister, aquaclear 70 hob, and 2 ati hydro iv sponge filters. Would this be sufficient filtration for a fully stocked cichlid tank?

Well it depends on what kind of cichlids you want! There's so many different types from different regions and lakes! I'd suggest mbuna for a start, they are from lake Malawi.

Well it depends on what kind of cichlids you want! There's so many different types from different regions and lakes! I'd suggest mbuna for a start, they are from lake Malawi.

I've seen some pictures of very beautiful Mbuna's. How many could fit in a 55 gal with the previously mentioned filtration?

I've seen some pictures of very beautiful Mbuna's. How many could fit in a 55 gal with the previously mentioned filtration?

I'd say probably 15 is a good number, on mbuna that are 6in or less.

Back
Top Bottom