How many peacocks for a 55 gallon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
It would be an all male tank and do i have to get maybe 3 of each kind or can i have 1 of each (do they have to be in schools ,dont know how to explain lol)

All tips welcome !

I would do 4 schools of 3 each or 3 schools of 4 each. 12 peacocks would give you room to still add a nice bottom dweller or two to finish it out. Just be ware of the total size of the adult fish. Obviously if you have a school of fish that will grow 10 plus inches you want to cut down on this for sure. but if you are staying around 4-6 inches that should be good.

Peacocks don't school. You would not need 3 of each species if it was all males. That mainly helps when there are females and do better in a 1:3-4 ratio of males to females

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are a couple breeds that do unless I am confusing peacocks and haps. I have four Red fin borleyi and they definitely school together.....do i have my peacocks confused?

check that, I just had to look it up. Those are haps and not peacocks

So 12 average length peacocks would do ?:)
What bottom dweller can be with them ?
Is it 12 peacocks and some bottom dwellers or should i decrease the number of the peacocks for the bottom ones ?
Thanks for the help !

So 12 average length peacocks would do ?:)
What bottom dweller can be with them ?
Is it 12 peacocks and some bottom dwellers or should i decrease the number of the peacocks for the bottom ones ?
Thanks for the help !

I would put a nice syno of your choice just make sure the species u pick stays at 8 inches or fewer!!!

You talking about the syno to be 8 inches or fewer right?

Yes most would stay under that size but there's always a few exceptions ????. Search on google images syno catfish and see what colors you like as they are very tough hardy fish. And ACTIVE!

Already have and they look great but dont cichlids like to eat the eyes of catfishes? Or is it just the plecos ?,but what peacocks do you guys reccomend ? :)

Already have and they look great but dont cichlids like to eat the eyes of catfishes? Or is it just the plecos ?,but what peacocks do you guys reccomend ? :)

That's just plecos. And still I've never seen that happen with my 10 cichlids tanks.

There are a couple breeds that do unless I am confusing peacocks and haps. I have four Red fin borleyi and they definitely school together.....do i have my peacocks confused?

check that, I just had to look it up. Those are haps and not peacocks

They are indeed haps and still don't school. They may shoal together, but true schooling is when they move as one in a larger group. There are VERY few true schooling cichlid species, and the only ones off the top of my head are cyprichromis and paracyprichromis species, and even then, they aren't completely true schoolers in the aquarium. Although I hate sourcing wikipedia pages, this one works Shoaling and schooling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The second part of the following paragraph really explains it:
"If, as a further addition, the shoal becomes more tightly organised, with the fish synchronising their swimming so they all move at the same speed and in the same direction, then the fish are said to be schooling.[1][3] Schooling fish are usually of the same species and the same age/size. Fish schools move with the individual members precisely spaced from each other. The schools undertake complicated manoeuvres, as though the schools have minds of their own.[4]"

Also, just an FYI, but cichlids don't come in "breeds". They are all species within the various genera in the family cichlidae.

Not trying to be a know-it-all, but just like to make sure proper terms are used so as to not perpetuate the misuse of certain terms.

Didn't take that any other way. It's funny I was just reading that exact page after our earlier talk. These guys I'm reffering to are definitely a shoal. They rarely stay separated for long, but I was thinking they were peacocks. I've underwent a two month crash course in Cichlids but even now I'm only scratching the surface on these guys. Any input like yours here is always appreciated. I am slightly confused though in the difference between breeds and Species but I don't want to hijack the op s thread here

Didn't take that any other way. It's funny I was just reading that exact page after our earlier talk. These guys I'm reffering to are definitely a shoal. They rarely stay separated for long, but I was thinking they were peacocks. I've underwent a two month crash course in Cichlids but even now I'm only scratching the surface on these guys. Any input like yours here is always appreciated. I am slightly confused though in the difference between breeds and Species but I don't want to hijack the op s thread here

Breeds are typically a morphiological group within a given species of domesticated animal. Dogs are a perfect example to explain this. Dogs are ALL of the same species, Canis [lupus] familiaris (the lupus shows that these are from the species Canis lupus, or the grey wolf, and could technically be classified as a subspecies of canis lupus). Within this species, you have different breeds. As different as every breed can be from one another, from the chihuahua to the great dane, they are all still canis familiaris. This typically is only used to describe domesticated animals, and breeds are generally man made. "a stock of animals or plants within a species having a distinctive appearance and typically having been developed by deliberate selection."

Species are just that, different species within a genus. This would be like comparing canis lupus (again, grey wolf) to canis latrans (the coyote). While they are both in the genus Canis, they are in fact separate species.

Figured I would use wolves, coyotes, and dogs, as that genus exhibits both examples of breeds and species.

Fish aren't truly "domesticated", and while you could call certain tank bred color lines of certain species as "breeds", they are typically referred to as "morphs" or "strains". A perfect example of this is apistogramma cacatuoides "double red". The apistogramma cacatuoides is the species, the double red is the color morph, as it was line bred and is not seen in the wild.

Then to complicate fish even more, there are collection points. These are often a river name, or a region name. They usually will follow the species name in quotation marks. I currently keep spathodus erythrodon "burundi". Spathodus is the genus, erythrodon is the species, and "burundi" is a region of Lake Tanganyika where these fish were collected. An example of a river collection point would be Geophagus sp. "Rio Pindare" (or Geophagus pindare at times). The genus is Geophagus, the species is not yet descibed, shwown by the "sp." and the collection point was in Rio Pindare (colombia, if I remember right). It's not uncommon for different stretches of lakes or rivers to have the same species of fish that look quite different, but are still the same species upon DNA analysis. They will vary slightly in color or shape. The following link shows the great variation that collection points can display. There's a map showing the various species and collection points of the genus Tropheus within Lake Tanganyika. Although there are 6 species and maybe 4-5 "undescribed species", there are dozens of colors and patterns of them, some withing the same species that are drastically different. Collection points sometimes end up being made into their own species, which often start off with the undescribed form of a latin name, like the geophagus sp. "rio pindare" mentioned earlier, that were once put as within the species Geophagus surinamensis, but has since been shown to not be within that species.

Hopefully this all makes sense, and is as accurate as I believe it is. If anyone wants to correct anything or add anything, please do

Back
Top Bottom