How many tiger oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if I can keep two tiger oscars in a 50 gallon tank

Two internal 40 gallon fluval filters and one hob 75 filter

If only one what else could be put with it?

Thank you!

They get 14". I wouldn't have a 14" fish in a 12-18" wide tank depending on what 50 it is

You could do a small one for a bit but it would need an upgrade for sure

It being a tall tank is even worse. No oscar in that tank. And when the last poster mentioned getting a small one for the tank then upgrading, your upgrade will have to happen within a few months. If you've never raised oscars, they grow fast, you need to have raised them and see it first hand to appreciate how fast they do grow. My latest oscar has grown from 1.5 inches to almost 10 inches in 6 months. They need pristine water with large frequent water changes and a good diet to avoid HITH/HLLE. Get a 75 gallon for an oscar. They say 55 is the minimum but if you've never seen an adult oscar in a 55 you don't really know just how cramped it looks. I keep my oscar in 6 foot 125 gallon and he uses every inch of the tank.

I have one in a 75 and I am now realizing how fast they really grow. People say they grow fast but I didn't believe it until I had my own. It seems like mine doubles in size every month. I absolutely love mine there is a reason they are so popular but I think mine is going to out grow the tank within the year. Yes 75 is big enough for one fish but I don't think I could keep anything in there with him.

It being a tall tank is even worse. No oscar in that tank. And when the last poster mentioned getting a small one for the tank then upgrading, your upgrade will have to happen within a few months. If you've never raised oscars, they grow fast, you need to have raised them and see it first hand to appreciate how fast they do grow. My latest oscar has grown from 1.5 inches to almost 10 inches in 6 months. They need pristine water with large frequent water changes and a good diet to avoid HITH/HLLE. Get a 75 gallon for an oscar. They say 55 is the minimum but if you've never seen an adult oscar in a 55 you don't really know just how cramped it looks. I keep my oscar in 6 foot 125 gallon and he uses every inch of the tank.

To second what JMonroe says, my friend bought an oscar just after Christmas at 2 inches long and I saw it again for the first time since he added it to his aquarium and it is just under 6 inches. Great looking fish though

If you want x2 oscars get a 125g tank atleast 6' long and 18" wide. They really do grow fast and you will thank yourself for buying a big tank in advanced. Don't purchase a fish you can't support in the future. Plan ahead and it makes all the difference. I have a single Oscar in a 75g and he uses the whole tank.

I'm going to be honest. 2 tiger oscars could live in there no problem. Once the get about 8" a piece just rehome them and get more.

Honestly this is a terrible approach. Why buy fish when you just have to get rid of them? Sorry I completely disagree with this way of thinking. These are living creatures after all. Rehoming 2 8" oscars is more difficult than you think.

Honestly this is a terrible approach. Why buy fish when you just have to get rid of them? Sorry I completely disagree with this way of thinking. These are living creatures after all. Rehoming 2 8" oscars is more difficult than you think.

+1, that's like very bad.

Really? Wow that's just stupid I'm sorry I dont like using the word stupid, but that is stupid advice. The tank won't work for 1 oscar, let alone 2. Besides you would want to keep it longer then a few months once you got to know its personality.

Back
Top Bottom