How much filtration/flow is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sigpi906

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I Have recently acquired a new cichlid tank: a 90 gallon tank currently under-filtered with a Fluval 104. I added a Marineland C-220 but realized this wouldn't be enough turnover in the long-run when it's fully stocked. So, I picked up a Fluval 404 on eBay and was planning in it replacing the 104. Will the 404 and 220 be ok running simultaneously or will there be an issue with too much turbulence/flow in the water?

I have PFS as substrate and lots of caves/rocks/roots for hiding.

Thanks y'all

I Have recently acquired a new cichlid tank: a 90 gallon tank currently under-filtered with a Fluval 104. I added a Marineland C-220 but realized this wouldn't be enough turnover in the long-run when it's fully stocked. So, I picked up a Fluval 404 on eBay and was planning in it replacing the 104. Will the 404 and 220 be ok running simultaneously or will there be an issue with too much turbulence/flow in the water?

I have PFS as substrate and lots of caves/rocks/roots for hiding.

Thanks y'all
Well you can never have to much filtration but you could have to much flow which could cause issues with the fishes swim patterns etc. Really the only way to tell is to hook it up and see if everything is okay or not, if the fish seem like they are being tossed, the substrate is becoming a mess, or it is causing injury then i would slow down the flow (most filters have a dial or something to create quicker flow or slower flow).

I have found with most filters that as long as they arent 'waterfalling' into the water, they usually are pretty good and wont make to much of a problem.

Dont take my word for it however, maybe you could google it and see if there are people with similar situations to you ? Goodluck!

Agreed. You can never have too much filtration. Just hook everything up and see how the fish do. Some fish are a little more sensitive, like Angels, but usually most filters have some way of adjusting the flow rate. Plus, in the event you have something happen to 1 filter, you have another that can perform. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom