how much should you feed your Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got about a 6" Oscar, he eats alot but I dont want to overfeed him.

Alot of people said feed no more than the fish will eat in 5mins, but it looks like he will keep eatting it if I contiune feeding it and he can eat it in less than 1 min.

He always looks hungary.

For example I feed him pellets, how many pellets should be enough for him. I also feed him 2 times a day. In the morning I feed him about 6-8 pellets and at night about 15 pellets. Its that too much already?

I have a tiger oscar at work that I care for. He is about 7 inches long. He gets fed about 3 to 7 cichlid gold pellets in the morning and then 2 to 3 at various times through out the day.

He too, always seems hungry. Any time he says anyone walk by the tank he comes as close as he can to where they are and wiggles his body.

I believe he gets fed enough since he acts healthy. I believe yours too gets fed enough.

Oscars are big pigs and big beggars. He is probably getting plenty to eat. You can probably feed him 1 pellet at a time until he stops to give you an idea how many he needs to be full. I have 2 8 inch albino oscars and they only get fed once a day. Are you feeding things other than pellets? He would probably appreciate some variety. Try feeding him some live earthworms. He'll love the live food. Also you might want to consider another variety of pellet just for variety. Hikari makes a cichlid staple pellet you might want to try. Mine won't eat them. My oscars staple pellet are the large cichlid pellets from Omega One They love them, and their coloring is outstanding!

Oscars photo

Like Gunnie said Oscars are VERY big pigs!!
Mine will eat as long as I drop pellets in the tank or till they explode..LOL
I also go buy the rule of what they can eat in about 5 min.
You will want to feed a variety of foods and maybe try a vitamin supplement like biovit.

Omega one pellets are great and you could try frozen fooda as well like beefhart and plankton.

Back
Top Bottom