How to change from gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jktrain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi just won't to know how to change my tank from gravel to sand. Can I just take the gravel out and put washed sand in with the fish in tank or take them out.

Make sure when putting in the sand, you turn off your filters and wait for sand to settle before turning back on.... Fir rinsing sand... I found putting it in a pillow case and rinsing easier than a bucket. Either way rinse it well before putting it in :)

It never fails, no matter how well I rinse my sand, when I put it in water the water turns so cloudy you can't see the back of the tank. And I've spent hours rinsing sand before. IMO, I would never ever ever put the sand in while the fish were in the tank, ever! Sure it's easier, but I don't wanna take that chance that it might harm the fish. Again, this is just my experience and my opinion.

Jktrain said:
Hi just won't to know how to change my tank from gravel to sand. Can I just take the gravel out and put washed sand in with the fish in tank or take them out.

I did this for my 10g tank. What I did was...

1. Take water out and put in another tank or bucket with filter on it.
2. KEEP FILTER MEDIA WET WITH TANK WATER so your benificial bacteria doesn't die!!!
3. Take all gravel out
4. Rinse sand extremely well
5. Put sand in tank and add water. You can use half old water and half new water to act as a water change.
6. Wait 2-8 hours for water to settle.
7. Put filter back on after water has settled.
8. Add fish and tank ornaments and plants ect.
Change step 4 to your number one step!!
if you plan on leaving your filter on the tank, make sure its off or the sand will get sucked up causeing your filter to mess up

i put washed sand in and it was cloudy for less than an hour while it settled. i used a pillow case, put 1/4 the sand for my 40gal and rinsed it with a shower head in a bucket. bucket got filled with pillowcase of sand in, then i basically kneaded it til the water was opaque. when, after about five bucket rinses, the water went fully clear i tipped it in the tank. the siamese was in the for a fish cycle for the filter, still alive to this day.
the gravel from my 10 gal breeder i also changed to sand i scooped out with my hands :) simples!

Back
Top Bottom