How to keep my discus from laying eggs on filter intake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquakev

Aquarium Advice Freak
I reshuffled all of my aquariums and finally got my discus pair into a breeding tank of their own. I put the large rubin sward that they spawn on in the tank in a pot. They spawned on it once but last night they spawned on the filter intake. I know that even if this batch hatches when the do they will be sucked up.

Any ideas on how to prevent them from spawning on the intake again?

Kevin

This is so ironic. My angels have been doing the same thing since the day they first started. So far, they have spawned on the intake tube three times (and each time, the eggs were eaten). They completely ignore the vertical rock. :roll:

I've moved the intake tube to the other side of the tank (no easy task, the entire filtration system had to move with it), moved the rock formation, re-arranged the plants in the area (which I really didn't want to do) and it has met with negative results.

I am open to any suggestions as well.

You can both try placing a ceramic pot in a corner of the tank. For some reason the discus (I would think angels as well), find this ideal and guard it with fervor. :wink:

do you think a tall glass bottle would work?- Im just so tired of going into all these weird stores and having the sales person say, "what are you looking for" and then getting the weird stares.

The funniest was when I went onto a horse supply store to get prazinquantel.

LOL. Nobody will cast a sideways glance if you go into a home depot and buy a few ceramic flower pots. :lol:

aquakev said:
The funniest was when I went onto a horse supply store to get prazinquantel.

uhm am I missing something.. Is this a common discus med for a certian illness?

and yea.. HD or the garden center at Walmart isn't exactly the same kind of experiance. :wink:

I have never kept discus nor angels, but it sounds to me as if they like places with some current. Maybe that way it'll help them faning the eggs?

If that's so maybe try to put a powerhead next to the place you have prepared for them to spawn.

Maybe it's stupid, maybe it'll help :wink: .

Tiffi said:
I have never kept discus nor angels, but it sounds to me as if they like places with some current. Maybe that way it'll help them faning the eggs?

That was a consideration...the rock was also moved, which is in the same location. I wonder if it has something to do with the intake tubes surface? It seems to be more common than I had realized.

greenmaji,

Yes, prazinquantel is a common medication for "deworming" discus, or getting rid of tape worms and the like as well as many external and gill parasites.

Its probably the most frequently used medication for discus right next to metrodenzinol.

Im not usre if this is the correct spelling for either meds.

Ok - if you can't beat them, help them :)

If you buy a replacement sponge for an air-driven filter and place this over the intake of your filter.........

...... then when the fry do hatch they wont get drawn into the filter intake. (In fact the fry will feed off food trapped on the sponge :))

Otherwise go with the terracotta pot - my angels guard theirs with deadly vigour too :)

Stuart said:
If you buy a replacement sponge for an air-driven filter and place this over the intake of your filter.........

...... then when the fry do hatch they wont get drawn into the filter intake. (In fact the fry will feed off food trapped on the sponge.

I already have the intake tube issue covered, at least at the bottom portion. What I really need is someone who understands Angel "lingo" to ask mine why they love the tube so much?

Pics

well here is my attempt. I guess it worked to spark a little interest. I may start getting some R.O. water soon to increase the chances of success.

Attachments

• fish_011__small_.jpg
    fish_011__small_.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 37
  • fish_007__small_.jpg
    fish_007__small_.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 32
:lol: :lol: Hey aquakev. That's not only ingenius but a great reason to put down a few Amstels. I'm going to give this a try tonight. Kudos coming your way.

What's the TDS reading in your tank? Anything between 90 and 130 should be good.

BrianNY said:
That's not only ingenius but a great reason to put down a few Amstels.

Once again, the limits of our knowledge is expanded once we realize most everything can be solved by finding a use for our empties. :D

I wonder how my angels would react to having their own bottle of bud?

Ya I really wanted an excuse for my habit of drinking beer and watching my fish do it! Its a 24oz, because I wanted to give them some height.

I made extra special care to remove all of the glue used on the labels, and used a razer blade and then a wet towel to remove anything left over.

I dont have a test for gh only kh and ph. my Aquarium Pharm. General Hardness test doesnt work, I think and hope, because I was adding like 50 drops and it didnt change color.

I may try to get serious about this and try to get some fry, but all looks good tonight.

Brian,

Some questions for you:

1 Have you had success in breeding your discus?

2. What do you think about removing one of the parents, the male(red snakeskin) is really more concerned with me feeding him than anything, every time I walk by the tank he stops what hes doing and goes puppy dog on me.-thinking of removing him.

3. They dont seem to remove the fungused eggs themselves(at least last time) and there are 2 that are fungused now, should I remove them with a skewer to be sure they dont infect the others?

I think the eggs are fertile because they turned darker and have a dark spot in the middle.

Ill keep my progress charted in the breeding section along with my tank stats

Kevin

1. Yes. I've had more spawns than I could keep track of. The thing is I've never gotten any of the fry past 30 days old. I've yet to make this a priority as my resources are stretched to the limit at the moment. My tap water fluctuates in TDS from day to day. Until I invest in RO, a water storage system, and enough gallons of aquariums to raise the fry, my successes will be hit or miss.

2. Many discus breeders remove one of the parents for various reasons. The size of the spawn may be small or one might never stop eating the eggs or fry. I wouldn't remove either of the parents until you've had several spawning attempts. Parenting seems to be an acquired skill with discus. The more they do it, the better they become.

3. I wouldn't touch the eggs. Going near them might panic the parents. Let nature take its course and hope for the best. They will spawn again and again. Lay in a supply of Formalin as an anti fungal for the next time. :wink:

my TDS is at about 160-170 currently. I am going to take some measures to get it down next spawn. Just got home and there is about 1/2 of the eggs left after 48hrs. but they do seem to be developing, I can definitely see things in them.

Back
Top Bottom