how to know if my calvus have spawned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supafreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55g tank with calvus, julies, and two tanganyika cats. A pair of the calvus have spawned before, and about a month ago i noticed that they were acting like they were ready again. For the longest time they hung out side by side, and then the female would shake about, and swim into her shell, but the male would never follow. At one point a few weeks ago i couldn't resist and actually looked in her shell, but no babies. Now she has been in the shell constantly (with the exception of comming out for a quick bite to eat and going right back in) for about one week. How would i know if she has babies in there with her? If she does, i intend to move her, and the shell and babies to a small breeding tank i have set up, because i don't want to loose the babies, and i know that the other fish would just love a live meal!
How do the rest of you check your shells for babies?

I just get surprised when they come out :wink: It does sound like she has something going on in the shell. I would just take the shell out with mommy and hope for the best. Make sure the water conditions are the same between the two tanks.

ok, i will likely do that becsuse i just can't wait! I'll have to empty out my fry tank. The parents are pretty good right? I don't have to be concerned about mom eating her babies before i know that they have hatched? Also, how long is it until they will be freeswimming?
If I move mom and babies out of the tank, will her mate recognize her when she goes back into the main tank? I wouldn't want to upset a breeding pair.

The parents are pretty good right? I don't have to be concerned about mom eating her babies before i know that they have hatched?
Some parents are better than others, but the eggs need mom to keep water moving over them.
Also, how long is it until they will be freeswimming?
I'm not 100% sure, but eggs usually hatch within days of spawning and you have little wrigglers--you will not see them if they are in the shell.
will her mate recognize her when she goes back into the main tank?
I would move both parents.

Back
Top Bottom