How to sex convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can you sex convict cichlids? I got one. If it has pink in side is it female?

HUKIT said:
Post a picture is possible, females will generally have orange on their stomachs.

Ok I will just a sec.

Attachments

• image-1022861062.jpg
    image-1022861062.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1284135109.jpg
    image-1284135109.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2310302736.jpg
    image-2310302736.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 67
2nd one looks like a male
a closer pic of the others may help. i cant see any pink bellies from the pics.

There posted the pics. Can post more if need be hard to catch though!! All the same fish too!

ive had a few convicts, and im pretty sure that you have a male.

gman42 said:
ive had a few convicts, and im pretty sure that you have a male.

Great thanks!!! Don't wanna get a another make due to aggression!

just make sure if u get a female to have a tank for fry,. they breed like rabbits, and most lfs's will bit take them bcuz they r so popular.

gman42 said:
just make sure if u get a female to have a tank for fry,. they breed like rabbits, and most lfs's will bit take them bcuz they r so popular.

Ok after I finish building my shelf for 10-15G tanks I'm going to get a couple. Have you bred them? How much space do they need ?(a pair) I know a little but I'm just backing myself up on all of it "!

i havent bred them myself, but i think a 29 gallon is the minimum for a pair, and a couple of 10-15g tanks would be okay for the fry.

gman42 said:
i havent bred them myself, but i think a 29 gallon is the minimum for a pair, and a couple of 10-15g tanks would be okay for the fry.

Oh ok just wondering! Ok I got him a 30G for now. Thanks! ^^

I could be wrong here, as I have pink convicts, but a female will only have a pink or in my case orange belly when a male is present and she's ready to breed, mine is not alway orange.

a good indicator to tell if its a male is its fins. the top fin on this convict is long and pointed, a female on the other hand would have a rounded fin.

Back
Top Bottom