How to tell male and female bolivian rams apart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do I tell male and female bolivian rams apart? The two I was sold are apparently both males. How can I be sure? Is it easy to tell?

Yep, I will shortly. Sorry, I am being stupid :D That would make sense :)

The best way I have found to tell the gender difference is by the slope of the belly. Females have a more rounded belly while males do not. It's a bit hard to describe, but the male's belly slopes down from the breeding tube to the anal fin. The female's belly slopes up from the breeding tube to the anal fin. Also, the breeding tube of the females is larger and rounder while the male's is more pointed and smaller. I have seen a bit of variation among females though, so I use that as a secondary characteristic for sexing.
This method has worked for me so far (when looking at fish in person, its much harder in photos), but I should note that its much harder to tell even these differences apart in young fish.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I will get some pics tonight - I couldn't get any decent pics yesterday

Back
Top Bottom