How would an Oscar do with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hrafnkel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Fire eels? Black Ghost Knife? FW Stingray? Silver Arowana? Would it be too aggressive? I've heard they're gentle with things too big to eat, so I was wondering. This is just for a very distant future plan. :p In a tank of several hundred gallons.

I've heard of a lot of people who keep Oscars with arowana and fire eels, but not too many that keep them with FW stingray or BGK... You would have to have a pretty good sized tank for an arowana though lol

jack dempsey aggression is over rated, i have seen some that get punked around by smaller fish.. some huge oscar would be nice to have.. what about a red devil? :mrgreen:

I have two Oscars with my Jack Dempsey in a 125 and they all get along fine. The Jack is one of the more mellow fish in the tank.

There's also a Green Severum in there, and there were a couple of convicts... but when they started breeding, they were too aggressive for the rest of the tank! (And were the smallest fish in there)

Alright, thanks. Also, for a 240 gallon predator tank, which filter/heater option sounds better?

3 Eheim 2215
2 Eheim Ecco Comfort 2236
4 Visi-therm Stealth 250w Heaters

Or

1 Eheim 2260 Canister
1 Eheim Ecco Comfort 2236

Oh, and I changed my mind on the stingray. :p

I'm going to be getting 280 soon and I'm going to go with a sump and maybe a couple of cannisters. I'll probably go 2 300w heaters in the sump, and 2 300w inline heaters. The heaters look fine just make sure you have like 5-6x turnover rate for predators heh The more the better with these fish.

"Alright, thanks. Also, for a 240 gallon predator tank, which filter/heater option sounds better?

3 Eheim 2215
2 Eheim Ecco Comfort 2236

Or

1 Eheim 2260 Canister
1 Eheim Ecco Comfort 2236

Oh, and I changed my mind on the stingray. "

if you can, go with a sump set up with overflows. try to set it up so you have 2-4 returns. i have dual corner overflows and 4 returns on my 300gl and a separate sump for each overflow each sump flows approx. 2100-2200gph.

"Is it doable without a sump? I don't really see that being an option. "

yeah, but you're going to need heavy duty cannister filtration.

We had 2 fire eels with our giant Oscars, they got along fine, but had to be screened off once a week for feedings, since the eels would only eat live food and the Oscars eat, well, everything.

I've heard of Oscars not doing well with FW stingrays. My LWS owner says his kept eating the tails.

Back
Top Bottom