Hurricane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malawi Freak

Aquarium Advice Addict
To all my fellow New Jersey and surrounding area residents, good luck in these next few days. I hope everyone has taken care of your tanks to be ready to withstand a lengthened power outage. I also hope you have taken the precautions for yourself and family. If you have well water I would recommend to wait some time following this storm to do a water change. The water table is going to rise a good deal and is known to unsettle well water. You don't want to make it through this storm and then just throw a grenade into your tank when the power comes back.

Yes good luck to you as we'll, to all of us AA in the storm's path! With proper preparation, patience and a little luck, we'll all be able to share great stories months from now.

jcolon said:
Yes good luck to you as we'll, to all of us AA in the storm's path! With proper preparation, patience and a little luck, we'll all be able to share great stories months from now.

We may be having some trouble posting soon lol... Not looking forward to it

Good luck to you freak I'm in southeastern pa. Hope all goes well. Just worried about the power outages

They are giving my area 85% chance of prolonged power outages. I have not dealt with this yet since my tanks have been running so if I lose power ill be wrapping my tanks in foil and aerating by pouring water from a foot off the tank. But to be honest sandy isn't living up to her expectations just yet here in NoVa.

Thanks for the kind words and good luck to everyone. The winds are kicking up here in Northern NJ now. Hopefully this is overblown, but I'm thinking this won't be the case. It seems as though this beast got stronger last night. Again, good luck everyone!!

I've had my power out for 2 days due to storms my fish were all fine. I just stirred the water with my net real good every once in a while to get the gas exchange going. The temp in both my 125 and 72 stayed pretty stable, which surprised me since it was about 50 in the house for a good day and a half. I didn't feed for the entire time due to loss of filtration either.

i am a new fish owner and have had my oscar about a month. i have no experience as to what to do if i lose power. sould anyone give my tips on how to ensure my fish will make it through the storm? thanks !

i am a new fish owner and have had my oscar about a month. i have no experience as to what to do if i lose power. sould anyone give my tips on how to ensure my fish will make it through the storm? thanks !

:Welcome: to AA! (y)

At this point it's too late to do much in terms of buying things. However, be ready for PWC's if you lose power as Oscars are messy fish. I'm assuming you have a juvenile 2-3inch Oscar so that's not as bad as a 14inch one in terms of bio-load. Have blankets to help wrap the tank to conserve heat if the power goes out.

I'm certain others that have oscars will chime in.

thanks you! yesyour correct it is only about 3.5-4 inches its tank mates are 2 green cory catfish. its a 10 gallon tank for now but our neighbors are giving us a 55 gallon right after this storm ends. my biggest concern is that it is showing the signs of a skin parasite (increased slim coat, laying on bottom, fins clamped etc.) i did a 30% water change yesterday and raised the temp a few degrees thinking it would help with healing and if i lose power. even without medication he does appear to be getting better. is there anything i should keep an eye out for though?

Lost power here 4hrs ago... 700k w/out power on L.I. My brother in law's entering this hobby, except instead of a settling for a measley tank, Sandy's decided it should be his whole house.

My power finally came back on today. I hope everyone else is doing ok. God these gas lines suck, especially when you need over 40 gallons every day to restore these utility services.

Malawi Freak said:
My power finally came back on today. I hope everyone else is doing ok. God these gas lines suck, especially when you need over 40 gallons every day to restore these utility services.

How is your tank doing?

ur not kidding, these gas lines are terrible bro..but I'm not complaining too much. Parts of the state look like a bomb went off and staten island, long island, Queens and parts of Brooklyn they lost eveything. Hope all ur fish made it through ok

ur not kidding, these gas lines are terrible bro..but I'm not complaining too much. Parts of the state look like a bomb went off and staten island, long island, Queens and parts of Brooklyn they lost eveything. Hope all ur fish made it through ok

I lost power here for 4 days but i was one of the lucky few that had a generator. So i had my fish tanks powered by it.

christine2012 said:
How is your tank doing?

My tank made it out fine. Luckily I made the investment of a backup battery for it and it ran for a day at a time then I would then charge it at my office for 8 hours.

I'm ready for the next storm since I installed a 10,000 watt generator for my whole house.

Back
Top Bottom