Hybrid cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are hybrid cichlids rare? Or do different species of Africans breed all the time? Long ago I had a bumblebee and what was sold as an ice blue (don't know if its the real name) breed and have babies. I was wondering if this is rare?

Yea I know, I breed snakes as well and hybrids are best kept out. He was a home aquarium creation and is kept strictly for enjoyment. He is a very beautiful fish and is constantly changing colors! He's like a giant mood ring.

That's a nice fish... And you should be proud of it. The reason some people don't like hybrids is because you can't breed with them and sometimes arent very attractive.

Lol that is definitely NOT the reason for not wanting hybrids in the hobby. The real reason is that hybrids can often take on the look of one parent species, thus diluting the gene pool when the breeder decides to sell the hybrid fish. This affects every generation of fish that particular hybrid creates. Not to mention that is slowly decreases the number of breeding adults in a species, and in rarer species, this can mean the destruction of the gene pool within the hobby, like Australian fish, which are not allowed to be exported from Australia.

Back
Top Bottom