Hybrid cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SherLar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't consider myself a fish snob (to each his/her own), but I'm no fan of hybrid fish. I believe Mother Nature does a much better job of creating new species than humanity ever could. Ever see a Chiweanie? Better leave species creation to Nature.
However, my wife saw a grown male flower horn in all its glory at an LFS yesterday, and now wants it. She's often talked about Blood Parrots, but never flower horns.
I have an extra 90g tank in my storage room with broken light, hood, filter, etc, that I could use after replacing everything, but I'm not sure if it's large enough for both a Flowerhorn and a Blood Parrot. I'm not even sure if they're compatible tank mates.
So, if anyone keeps these fish, or has any experience with them, I'd appreciate any advice. If they can work together in a 90g, I can set it up in the fish room this eve. Though it will probably mean the removal of my napping futon, and force me to nap upstairs with the yapping dogs and squawking birds. The things we do for our significant others.

Geez.. I just skimmed this.. replacing a napping futon with a blood parrot?!?!?! We're not friends anymore...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So let me start with the quick hybrid analogy. A mixed breed dog is NOTHING like a hybrid. Not trying to be a jerk, just see this analogy thrown around a lot and it's quite different. Breeds are different morphs of a domesticated species, such as dogs, cats, cattle, horses, etc. Hybrids are the combination of two distinct species.

Next. A 90 would be fine for a single flowerhorn. However, I would not add a blood parrot (nor support their breeding, but that's a whole other topic). They lack the ability to close their mouths, and therefore lack any defense against an aggressive hybrid like a flowerhorn.

My recommendation: look into the genus amphilophus and parachromis. Show her pictures of species within those genera and see if you can't find a naturally occurring species to replace the flowerhorn with. Trimacs are the root of flowerhorn. Lysoni are amazing as well. I personally like hoogaboomorum.

Just my two cents

Not to mention how much fun can be had reciting the name... Hoogaboomorum!! Woooo

THank you both for your input. My personal preference is to keep my futon, but, like most husbands, I seldom win.
Freakgecko, I know that mixing dog breeds and fish species aren't the same thing; it was a - apparently not funny - joke.
I'll look into the species you mentioned though, show her pics. Maybe I can change her mind. Sometimes, she moves on to other things and forgets. She's going to get her dwarf puffers, so maybe she'll consider it a compromise.

This is a funny thread on a completely different topic for married men!:angel:
Thanks for being so well spoken Freak!(y)
I agree completely.
Brooks just loves his futon ! :rolleyes:
Another different topic for married men!:nono:

This is a funny thread on a completely different topic for married men!:angel:
Thanks for being so well spoken Freak!(y)
I agree completely.
Brooks just loves his futon ! :rolleyes:
Another different topic for married men!:nono:

No one's getting the couch out of my fish cave!!!

My couch is in my garage next to my beer fridge haha

There are plenty of great wet pets out there that are naturally occurring and beautiful. Check out tangledupincichlids.com. Jeff Rapps has some amazing species and pictures that can give ya some great idea! Any species out of those two genera though would be best alone or in a pair, many of which are still gonna get a bit too big for a pair in a 90 (4' footprint can be limiting)

Thanks for the advice. That's why I love the forums; even when I think I know everything, there's always at least 1 thing I don't know.
She's off on another tangent now anyway, and has seemingly forgotten about the fish (except for the puffers), so it looks like I get to keep my futon a while longer. Unfortunately, my beer cooler is in the bar, 3 rooms and 17 steps away. Although, I did see a refrigerator somewhere that had an aquarium built into the door . . .

Thanks for the advice. That's why I love the forums; even when I think I know everything, there's always at least 1 thing I don't know.
She's off on another tangent now anyway, and has seemingly forgotten about the fish (except for the puffers), so it looks like I get to keep my futon a while longer. Unfortunately, my beer cooler is in the bar, 3 rooms and 17 steps away. Although, I did see a refrigerator somewhere that had an aquarium built into the door . . .

Hahahahahahah perfect! You can really trick out the pea puffer setup if you want with a little rimless low iron tank from Mr aqua. Than again a $20/20l works just as well... I compromised on a medical freezer in the cave, keeps frozen fish food out of the main freezer. (It was a problem, bloodworm juice running onto the frozen peas and all..)

Back
Top Bottom