I need help ASAP!!! Cichlids exhibiting Weird Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mfdrookie516 said:
Nitrite poisoning wouldn't cause 'white lips'. The fish would probably be gasping for o2, since nitrite does some fancy chemical term to prevent oxygen from being taken in to the blood stream. Aquarium salt or prime is a good method to help reduce nitrite toxicity in emergencies. Water changes are probably better though.

The 'white lips' sound like columnaris, which I've had the unfortunate experience with before. It usually starts with the lips, then moves to patches on the fish. Google it and see if that may be what you're working with. If so, lowering your temp 6 degrees and adding aquarium salt are a good idea, as well as treating with a med that targets gram negative bacteria.

Nitrites are ok though , its the NitrAtes that I'm worried about :/

I've been having a similar prob with my jack Dempsey... I let the nitrates and ammonia get a little high and he became very spooked.... Not eating nearly as much not sure if he is even eating at all... I am keeping up with water changes now and waiting it out... Good luck

Back
Top Bottom