I really did it this time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that we see them under the lights those look like really low quality discus. You should send them to me for "disposal". :whistle:

I went from over 2000 gallons to a single 72b with wild caught fish and I couldn't be happier. I don't miss spending 3-4hrs per week changing water but I do miss those impulse WC buys from Jeff and Gage��

I hear you. I have spent my whole time in the hobby adding tanks so I can keep more cool fish and breaking down and selling tanks because I am tired of the maintenance. It is an endless cycle.

I am trying to find a happy medium these days. We will see how that goes.

No that we see them under the lights those look like really low quality discus. You should send them to me for "disposal". :whistle:

I hear you. I have spent my whole time in the hobby adding tanks so I can keep more cool fish and breaking down and selling tanks because I am tired of the maintenance. It is an endless cycle.

I am trying to find a happy medium these days. We will see how that goes.

That's exactly what I've found or the time being. I do however keep looking at Jeff's page and I have to warn myself because the sickness sinks in again, Lol.

Tangled Up in Cichlids

That's exactly what I've found or the time being. I do however keep looking at Jeff's page and I have to warn myself because the sickness sinks in again, Lol.

Tangled Up in Cichlids
How dare you... here I am talking about not wanting to tear down tanks and you post this on the thread?? Enabler!!

I don't know David.. this has been one of those things.. wanted to but really didn't have the extra funds for properly raised, display tank ready adults. This is a trial run. I've set this tank up for easy food removal and wcs as I'll be doing that alotttttt. In the picture you'll notice some plumbing, this will allow drainage to about 2" above bottom and hopefully create a vacuum to remove food. I have a vacuum hose as well if it fails to simplify. This is Qt, if all goes well they'll be in my updated 75 gal. (Ps. If anyone in Boston wants some huge angels and other free fish? Pm me.)
18d665d18d3af05800872133585ff25d.jpg

Interested in huge angels and other fish - north of Boston

I just reread the feeding schedule on post #12...brutal! At what point does it ease up to 1-2x per day (and less)? IMG_3757.JPG

Ah for the ups and downs of tank numbers. I am still trying to get to just a couple -meaning 4 (fuzzy math) ;)

They will be amazing in a big tank and with the someday soon auto to partial auto water changes and life will be magical.

A friend if mine has discus and works lots of hours so has set up and auto water changer much like yours and as for feeding he has 3 auto feeders with different foods in each dropping food in different time if the day. After keeping discus for 6 years and havung no problems i thinks it working for him

A friend if mine has discus and works lots of hours so has set up and auto water changer much like yours and as for feeding he has 3 auto feeders with different foods in each dropping food in different time if the day. After keeping discus for 6 years and havung no problems i thinks it working for him

That sounds great you should ask for the friend to join here at Aquarium Advice, post a thread and show off all the details!!!

I see that the babies are quality high fin discus, but what will be their eventual color morph?
Red Turquoise?

He Works too much to even help me out and hates
social media so doubt it

I see that the babies are quality high fin discus, but what will be their eventual color morph?
Red Turquoise?
He had them labeled as blue/red turqs. If they look.anything like these I'm a happy camper!
515c9fc2113cdf18e708390fada39f20.jpg

If they look like this in doing flip kicks down the hall way
e88d1b63b6377e410117a87b542933ff.jpg

Last edited:
The little monsters are still eating a ton and popping all over the tank. I made a game time decision to set them up a new tank rather than move stock from my 75, my eba looked deep into my eyes and reminded me that I grew them out from small juivies and id be wrong to move them on. They're right. But now they get the big thory back in the tank (sucks for them). Discus will be going in a 70 gal, most likely b.b. with a huge piece of manzanita centered, I'll glue anubias and java fern all over it. It should look majestic. This 70 is 36x18x25, they don't strike me as needing the side to side over height. I feel like if I set it up right they'll stage at all levels on the cover??? Someone please interject If I'm off. Happy Sunday!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 70g sounds like a deeper version of a 40b.
What filter(s) will be going in there?
I know nothing about these colorful saucers with fins that eat and poop and command your focus and energy. If you ever need guppy grass or duckweed, just holler.

The 70g sounds like a deeper version of a 40b.
What filter(s) will be going in there?
I know nothing about these colorful saucers with fins that eat and poop and command your focus and energy. If you ever need guppy grass or duckweed, just holler.
Same footprint, I'll throw a matured a.c. 70 on there and a couple sponge filters, eventually just 2 big sponge filters.

I kept a school of 7 in an Oceanic 58 gallon for several years. It was a 3 ft. Tank. No problems.
Several of them grew very large. The 2 lowest in the pecking order were noticeably smaller, but not stunted. After a while the extreme maintenence will fade to the more routine once a week tank maintenence.
Discus are tougher than you think. I kept them in hard Oklahoma water, raised an Synodontis Angelicus and various tetras along with them. The tank was set up in our family room where three rowdy kids played. The discus thrived. I was sad to give them up when we had a big move. With your knowledge and talent the discus will likely do quite well.

I kept a school of 7 in an Oceanic 58 gallon for several years. It was a 3 ft. Tank. No problems.
Several of them grew very large. The 2 lowest in the pecking order were noticeably smaller, but not stunted. After a while the extreme maintenence will fade to the more routine once a week tank maintenence.
Discus are tougher than you think. I kept them in hard Oklahoma water, raised an Synodontis Angelicus and various tetras along with them. The tank was set up in our family room where three rowdy kids played. The discus thrived. I was sad to give them up when we had a big move. With your knowledge and talent the discus will likely do quite well.
This pecking order, I've noticed this, the largest is the boss. He dictates who eats and when, I can see a couple of the small ones getting pushed out, they will most likely remain the small ones?? Any tricks to mitigate this behavior? I try to feed in the same spot so they get comfortable with the early morning feedings in low light and not spook.

Despite the discus mystique, they are just another beautiful South American cichlid. To ensure peace amongst the school, it's all about your aquascape, breaking up the line of sight.
Initially feed on one end of the tank. The strongest fish will hit there first. Then toss food into the opposite end. The weaker fish will be trained to hit the second drop. Structure your Manzanita and foliage to make an off centered facade to partially obstruct and separate the two ends of the tank.
As your discus grow the noted pecking order will periodically change. When I first saw your baby discus it was clear that they were quality high fin red turquoise. I also noticed that the breeder was able to keep a semi wild look to them that so many of the new color morphs lack.

Back
Top Bottom