I swear it was a burglar, but no it was.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akagochi

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 125 gal New World Tank. I currently house Two Oscars among other cichlids (parrot, JD, Pleco, chocolate, gold severum, Geo). I know it's over stocked, So anyway it's in the middle of the night and I hear a noise that sounded like someone fell down our stairs. We have two children so that wasn't a stretch so I laid there and waited for the crying, but there was no crying. So now I was curious and the wife is alarmed and thinks it's a burglar, so I go downstairs to check it out. As I'm coming down the stairs I hear the loud noise again and it's coming from under the tank. Yes it was one of my Oscars and he not only jumped out of the tank but he also flopped his way underneath it next to the filters. I picked him up and put him back in, and except for a few scars he was fine.

Do any of you have any weird fish stories?

A little over a year ago I treated one of my green barbs in a 10gal QT for fungus. The day he was ready to go back in my 75gal, I put him in a cup of tank water and intended to pour him back in but got side tracked so I set the cup with the barb on the glass canopy. 15 minutes later, I go back to pour him into main tank and find it's empty! I freak out thinking one of my kids spilled the cup, but there's no way either could reach it. Oh no! the stupid fish jumped out and is now stuck in the space behind the tank and back wall. I check ... Nope, ... not there?

My wife offhand mentions it maybe feel into the tank. Really? How's that even possible? I dismissed her idea as ridiculous and to prove my point, I shined a flashlight into the tank ... since the timer hasn't turned the lights on yet ... And guess who's the FIRST FISH I see?

Yep .. You guessed it. Turns out it jumped out and somehome fell through the narrow gap between the canopy and the back of the bracket / rim.

I had a Rainbow Shark that thought he'd do better outside the tank than inside. You'd think he would have learned the first time...got the best of him finally.

I did a deep clean of my medium tank which included taking all of my fish out and putting them in a bucket with the filter for the tank. About 45 mins to an hour after I had put all of the fish back into the tank my Jack Russell Terrier was acting weird around the bottom of the bucket so I looked and saw movement on the ground. It was one of my Platys! I picked her up and put her back in the tank thinking she was a goner after so long out of the water. That was Sunday and she's still fine! Who knew that my killer dog would save a fish!!

This past summer I had my window open and a bumble bee flew into my room, I heard several LOUD Snaps!!! I thought my tank had randomly cracked. Looks for water leaking 2 different times, before I sat there watching the tank to find my RD was Biting at it threw the glass, hitting it do hard his teeth scraping on the glass sounded like my tank breaking.

I posted the story somewhere on here.

Couple weeks ago I had my tank empty switching substrate I had my fish in a 50 gal tote. The lid was on it end everything. The only gap was like half inch by an inch and one of my bala sharks jump through it not once but twice. Not to mention it was at least like 8 inches from surface of water to the rim of the bin.

Years ago I had a lone young jag in a 75, 'bout 10" long. One morning I got off graveyards and fed the fish, then showered and sat down to relax a bit before goin' to bed. Sittin' there readin' and realized I left the lid up, and one of my cats was perched on top off the bookshelf next to the tank, slightly higher but almost even with the top, lookin' in. Even full-grown she was a small cat, long haired and only 'bout 6 lbs. soakin' wet, and she was only 'bout 9 mos old when this happened.

The cat and jag were eyein' each other up. The jag would slowly swim from out of sight under the light to the opening, and the cat would slowly lean forward and bring her paw down gettin' ready to swipe when the jag was in range. Jag jaws and cat paw would both get 'bout an inch from the surface, then the jag would drift back under the light outta sight and the cat would pull her paw back, then they'd start over. This went on for maybe ten minutes. Finally, they both got close enough to the surface they reached the point of no return.

The cat swiped, the jag lunged.

The jag gotta hold of the paw and started shakin'. Managed to drag the cat's leg half it's length into the water before the cat recovered from the surprise. Cat jerked back, draggin' the jag, still thrashin' and not wantin' to let go of dinner. Jag was half way outta the tank before it let go and the cat went' high tailin' it clear across the house to my room and under the bed.

Happened so quick I never twitched before 'twas said and done. That cat never went near any of my tanks again, right up to the point I had to put her down a coupla years ago, at age 16.

WYite

Wyomingite said:
Years ago I had a lone young jag in a 75, 'bout 10" long. One morning I got off graveyards and fed the fish, then showered and sat down to relax a bit before goin' to bed. Sittin' there readin' and realized I left the lid up, and one of my cats was perched on top off the bookshelf next to the tank, slightly higher but almost even with the top, lookin' in. Even full-grown she was a small cat, long haired and only 'bout 6 lbs. soakin' wet, and she was only 'bout 9 mos old when this happened.

The cat and jag were eyein' each other up. The jag would slowly swim from out of sight under the light to the opening, and the cat would slowly lean forward and bring her paw down gettin' ready to swipe when the jag was in range. Jag jaws and cat paw would both get 'bout an inch from the surface, then the jag would drift back under the light outta sight and the cat would pull her paw back, then they'd start over. This went on for maybe ten minutes. Finally, they both got close enough to the surface they reached the point of no return.

The jag gotta hold of the paw and started shakin'. Managed to drag the cat's leg half it's length into the water before the cat recovered from the surprise. Cat jerked back, draggin' the jag, still thrashin' and not wantin' to let go of dinner. Jag was half way outta the tank before it let go and the cat went' high tailin' it clear across the house to my room and under the bed.

Happened so quick I never twitched before 'twas said and done. That cat never went near any of my tanks again, right up to the point I had to put her down a coupla years ago, at age 16.

WYite

That's hilarious. My cats used to eyeball my piranhas when I had them years ago but were never ballsy enough to actually try.

So I have a 125 gal New World Tank. I currently house Two Oscars among other cichlids (parrot, JD, Pleco, chocolate, gold severum, Geo). I know it's over stocked, So anyway it's in the middle of the night and I hear a noise that sounded like someone fell down our stairs. We have two children so that wasn't a stretch so I laid there and waited for the crying, but there was no crying. So now I was curious and the wife is alarmed and thinks it's a burglar, so I go downstairs to check it out. As I'm coming down the stairs I hear the loud noise again and it's coming from under the tank. Yes it was one of my Oscars and he not only jumped out of the tank but he also flopped his way underneath it next to the filters. I picked him up and put him back in, and except for a few scars he was fine.

Do any of you have any weird fish stories?

Hahaha that is super funny!! I sure am glad he is okay!

WYite

LOL! I'm excited about the coming months/years, cuz I heard a rumor Santa's bringing my little brother and sister a new kitty for Christmas!!!

about 20 years ago I came home after work to find my Oscar lying on my carpet and drying out no gill movement. I picked him up and the carpet fuzz stuck to him. anyway i droped him back into the tank thinking he was probably dead went to the pub. I get home and there is Roger (my oscars name) swimming around his tank like nothing happened.

I have been into fish for a few months. I have heard this story for the third time.. An Oscar jumping out of the tank at night. I can only think that they see something strange in the reflection of the glass and are chasing after it or they are disoriented somehow when swimming full speed.

Great stories. I wonder what the phenomena is behind fish jumping out of their tanks.

Back
Top Bottom