i think my johanni is preggers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicosia31

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two johanni, one of which I bought because I assumed it was female. She was a silver/grey color with lots of yellow on the tail and dorsal fin with the black horizontal stripes. 24 hours after I introduced her she turned deep blue and black. I'm still not sure if she is female or just a sub-dominant male. Either way its not very active anymore. Spends a lot of time in secluded spots hovering just above the sand. I've seen him/her investigating caves and staying there for a long while. It also doesn't eat much at all. I actually watched it take a very small bit of flake and spit it back out. Am I right in thinking she's holding eggs? I'm just worried she may be sick.

I don't see any frayed fins or outward signs of stress.

My fish that have new holding do not even attempt to eat. I could be wrong but if she had a mouthful of eggs I don't think she would eat and spit out food, eggs would come out too!

Can you post a pic?

Here are some. Like I said she's just hovering in that spot since I got here. She doesn't swim out expecting to get fed like the rest

ForumRunner_20120428_161125.jpg

ForumRunner_20120428_161158.jpg
Much less blue color today. More like silver.
Any help is very much appreciated

From those pictures I would say that she is not holding.A holding female will have a very swollen looking chin and looking as though she is chewing gum even in the early stages of holding.

Ver good to know. Hmm. Well she moves her mouth constantly. Would she be "chewing" with her mouth completely closed?
Thank you very much for the help.

nicosia31 said:
Ver good to know. Hmm. Well she moves her mouth constantly. Would she be "chewing" with her mouth completely closed?
Thank you very much for the help.

You can usually see the egg when they hatch my lab closes her mouth and chews. Mine let's food fall in her which she never does. Doesn't really try to eat and hides from others. You usually can tell.

You can usually see the egg when they hatch my lab closes her mouth and chews. Mine let's food fall in her which she never does. Doesn't really try to eat and hides from others. You usually can tell.

Sounds like her behavior. ill watch for a swollen chin. If it turns out shes holding, i have a 29 gal. i can use for a fry tank. ill have to read up on how to transfer and care for them. Thanks again fishie.

If she does hold and you want to transfer her, the best way to do it is at night. If you leave the lights out for awhile the fish will go into a sleep state and then you should be able to slowly net her and transfer.

Good luck!

CraigMac said:
If she does hold and you want to transfer her, the best way to do it is at night. If you leave the lights out for awhile the fish will go into a sleep state and then you should be able to slowly net her and transfer.

Good luck!

Very good to know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom