I think my yellow Lab is holding!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NyteGTI

Aquarium Advice FINatic
6464082547_39f31dcec9.jpg

6464083293_14d8cebc8a.jpg

And the proud papa if she is holding

6464088257_706e015454.jpg

Beautiful fish first off!! And if she is and you have fry that survive.... Don't forget me! :)

Good luck.

Does look as though she's holding.
Is she eating?
Is she hiding?

no not eating & yes hiding. I got a rare oportunity to take that pic, she came darting out of her cave and then just stopped right there like she knew i wanted a picture lol. then swam back in.

Beautiful fish first off!! And if she is and you have fry that survive.... Don't forget me! :)

Good luck.

haha thanks brother, I'll hold you to that when im looknig to unload a bunch of yellow labs I can't keep :(

Should I be doing anything to try to help their survival? fry box or anything? my QT is SW so that wont work.

So do I just put the female in the box ahead of time before she spits or do I wait & attempt to catch all the fry when she does

If you can set a box up like mine..Just put her in and she will spit. You can strip her but thats a pain and stressful for the fish. Its impossible to catch fry spit in the main (well really hard)...They are really small.

ok how long do I have before she spits? She literally must have just started holding yesterday afternoon because she was eating & doing the shaking dance with the male the night before.

Nice job! Always fun to see them breed. It will most likely be a couple weeks before she releases.

yea I've read 2-3 weeks.. which sucks because I leave for florida for 6 days dec. 21st- dec. 27th. I could setup my auto feeder to feed both the frybox & the tank if I place it right but I dunno lol. man my fish has horrible timing!

If this is her first time, there is a good chance that she may not carry the fry to term ~ not that I'm wishing that on you, just pointing out that it is likely.

My guess is she will hold them til the 1st week in Jan. (total guess) But I would strip her around the 20th if it were me..The fry wont need to eat until thier egg sacs are totally gone..Then the food will have to be ground for the fry..The momma will need to be fed tho

ok next question, if I put her in a box and she spits, will she eat them? do i need to seperate her from her fry after she spits/I strip? I know I need to keep her from my male for a few days to recover from fasting while she had the fry in her mouth.

If she releases on her own, usually not within a couple days. That said however, I prefer to remove the female from the fry as soon as possible as she will eventually. If you strip her before she is ready to release, she will have to be seperated or she will simply repick up the fry.

Update:

I stripped her today. She's the proud mama of 13 fry.

6607570921_62797f75d1_b.jpg

Now what do I feed them? I've got them in a breeder box right now until i setup a grow out for them.
I've seen people say ground up flakes should I stick with that? I've got brine shrimp I can crush up & feed them too. thoughts?

Convict you know you want one :)

NyteGTI said:
Update:

I stripped her today. She's the proud mama of 13 fry.

Now what do I feed them? I've got them in a breeder box right now until i setup a grow out for them.
I've seen people say ground up flakes should I stick with that? I've got brine shrimp I can crush up & feed them too. thoughts?

Convict you know you want one :)

Congrats on the fry!! You can crush up both. I just used crushed up flake food and wet a toothpick dip in food the water much easier than having crumbs on fingers.

If thier egg sacs are gone already you can feed them crushed nls, spirulina. Bits of algae wafers. Drop an airstone in the breeder box. You may have to buy a pressure regulator an airstone running full tilt can stress fry out. Give them some gentle bubbles

Back
Top Bottom