Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haymaker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm yet to see any white spots but lately all my fish are occasionally rubbing their sides against the rocks. (With increasing frequency). I've started raising the temperature and I've added one tablespoon of aquarium salt for every five gallons. Should I up the salt? I've raised the temp to about 81. Any advice I'm trying the non-medication route.

When was the last time that a large water change was preformed? Can you be more specific on when you noticed the rubbing?

Did my last 25% water change about a week ago. They have just started occasionally rubbing on rocks the last couple of days

I had the same problem. I double dosed with salt and raised the temp. After about a week, everything was back to normal. I then started lowering the temp and did 20% water change every 3 days to get my salt levels back to normal. I never had the rubbing happen again. Salt works wonders.

So I'm yet to see any white spots but lately all my fish are occasionally rubbing their sides against the rocks. (With increasing frequency). I've started raising the temperature and I've added one tablespoon of aquarium salt for every five gallons. Should I up the salt? I've raised the temp to about 81. Any advice I'm trying the non-medication route.

Here is a good article on using heat to treat ich. I would read the whole thing. It is very informative.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Just because there running or "flashing" doesn't mean ich it could mean other things like high nitrAtes or other parameter issues or... It could mean nothing at all. How many are doing it?

If there's no signs of anything other then flashing what are you treating for and are they all eating and acting hungry when you walk by or approach the tank?

Also if your going to treat for ich I highly recommend doing this.

Lower your water level as high heat will reduce oxygen in your tank so you wanna agitate the water more you can even throw in a air stone.

Slowly raise the temp to 86 degrees and keep it there for 10-14 days.

Add 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt per 5 gallons dissolved in tank water every day.

Every 2nd day perform a 50% water change and give your substrate and decor a really good cleaning.

After your water change add salt for ONLY amount taken out. Remember salt doesn't evaporate.

Continue treating even after the last spots are gone for another 3-4 days. Slowly bring temp down and do a massive massive water change adding NO salt and return to normal.

Of course this is for ich which you have no proof of having which is a good thing.

Here's a good read

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Last edited:
That's why I didn't want to add medication I can't really see any white bumps. One fish sort of looks like he has white specks on his fins but don't look raised. Amona is 0 nitite is zero nitrate is less than 10 ppm. Everyone is active and eating well and hey race to meet me when I approach the tank. That's why I'm not sure if there is really any illness. Other than the flashing they are acting normal. So other than adding salt at 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons and raising the temp to 82 I haven't done anything other than put an air stone in to make sure I have plenty of surface agitation. The fish all seemed to react well to the salt addition as all got extremely colorful. Thanks for all the advice maybe I overreacted.

That's why I didn't want to add medication I can't really see any white bumps. One fish sort of looks like he has white specks on his fins but don't look raised. Amona is 0 nitite is zero nitrate is less than 10 ppm. Everyone is active and eating well and hey race to meet me when I approach the tank. That's why I'm not sure if there is really any illness. Other than the flashing they are acting normal. So other than adding salt at 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons and raising the temp to 82 I haven't done anything other than put an air stone in to make sure I have plenty of surface agitation. The fish all seemed to react well to the salt addition as all got extremely colorful. Thanks for all the advice maybe I overreacted.

Nothing wrong with being cautious but I think maybe you did. It's ok though I'm not knocking you. Just relax a little and take a more sit back and watch approach. Watch them for any change in eating or activity. Can I suggest getting some of this? It's good to have on hand trust me

http://www.somethingsphishy.com/fla...p-1284.html?osCsid=kgp2n6ihtl5ts61utavkqt5c54

http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm

Something you'll be happy to have just in case. A friend of mine recommended having it on hand and it was a good thing. Also CLOUT is good to have. IMO you wanna have a sorta fish first aid kit. You would be ready for an emergency for a human right? So why not your fish!!

Good luck but I don't think it's ich at this point. You'd know it if it was.

Saw your YouTube video of your 75 gallon it is sweet

Well it is definitely ich one of my guys now hoas a bunch of white dots on him

I've got some flashing as well, but I'm in the middle of a cycle, and I have the "normal" amount of salt in my tank. How much more do I need to add, and can that be sustained. Doing the temp raise right now as well. Going to increase it to 82 and let it ride for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom