Ick still present after Protozin treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozmo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had/have a bout of Ick on my two Blue Rams. I applied a course of Protozin as instructed and after the 6th and final day (fourth dose) the disease has diminished but is still slightly present in one of the two BRs (the male).

Should I dose again? Or what? Do the salt/temperature treatment?

Thanks,
ozmo

What's that exactly?higher temp and extra aquarium salt?

Salt treatment dosent always work.. I would get a bottle of QuICK cure and raise your temperature on your heater to about 85 degrees

Raise temp slowly to around 85 degrees.Take carbon out of your filter. Add one drop for every gallon of water thats in your tank..
Your allowed up to 3 treatments a day according to the label.. After each treatment i would do a PWC..as soon as the crystals fall of its highly reccomended to continue one more treatment as a precautionary. Once the fish is back to normal replace carbon and do a big PWC.

Is protozoin the same sort of thing as quick cure?

QuICK Cure treats both ick and protozoan parasites

Heat/salt has worked 100% for me also. I've heard/read stories about heat alone/salt alone not working but haven't seen anything concrete on the heat/salt method used in conjunction and failing. Plus it's less stressful (IMO) on the fish than the formaldehyde/MG or MB combo.

Ick- small white sugar crystals on skin, fin and gills.

Protozoan- symptoms include a grey- white film of mucus

Heat/salt has worked 100% for me also. I've heard/read stories about heat alone/salt alone not working but haven't seen anything concrete on the heat/salt method used in conjunction and failing. Plus it's less stressful (IMO) on the fish than the formaldehyde/MG or MB combo.

I agree with Jeta 100%, I've never had heat/salt fail to cure ich and using meds when a natural solution is available is a waste of money not to mention being very stressful on the fish.

Heat and salt it is. I have already begun. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good News!! The heat/salt treatment seems to have worked already (although not over). The fish are more active, doing well and look better than ever. Awesome!! Thanks guys :)

Just keep that up for two weeks and you'll be set, then just perform a couple of big water changes to remove the salt.

+1

The only time I ever tried to medicate for ich, it failed miserably. There haven't been many occasions since then, but heat/salt always work and usually without fish loss.

quick cure is my treatment of choice - heat and salt are good too. BTW- your rams like hot temps anyway. No treatment will get rid of the white cysts. the treatments only kill the swarmers after the cysts burst. Heat simply speeds up the life cycle. Several water changes will also get rid of a large amount of the swarmers after the cysts have burst, but they burrow into fish quickly, so a treatment is always a good idea as well. Quick cure tends to waste tetras though, so if you have those with your rams you have to dose at 1/2 and cross your fingers.

Exactly.haha and sorry bout the assumption.I just don't see the harm in what I did and if I offended the original poster I'm sorry

Back on topic...

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. This forum truly is a great place of knowledge.

I will take my chances will the natural methods from now on until I prove otherwise to myself.

Once again thanks to all.

Cheers,
ozmo

Back
Top Bottom