icy blue peacock with no eyes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mackwell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was making a trip to pet goods originally for just an air stone and check valve, but of course I had to take a quick peek at what they've got in the tanks. and of course I find a lone cichlid that doesn't have eyes! turns out the other peacocks ate his eyes so they put him in a tank with no other fish. I asked them how long he's been living alone there and they said about a month. so I figured hey, why not give this guy a bigger home with some docile fish? he can't see them, and they're not gonna mess with him. he's now in a 30 gallon with a small pleco and a platy. if he does well with the other fish this week, I may consider adding more community fish. what do you guys think? also, how am I gonna get him to find his food? I might just call pet goods and ask them exactly how they did it.

image-2328042507.jpg

Also, how do I post videos here? I'd love to show you how he gets around the tank. He's not so cichlid-like since he can't see. He's become more of a bottom dweller, and he's very careful.

Fish can smell food and sense movement. Try tapping the top of the water to get his attention then put food near him

That makes a lot of sense. he seems to feel a lot more sure on the bottom of the tank though. is there a such thing as sinking cichlid pellets?

There are lots of food thay sinks. Just try to find the one thay matches best to what cichlids should have

A friend of mine taught her betta to find his food my spot feeding in a corner. She'd tap on the glass at feeding time and then wait for him to come to the top and then put the pellet right in front of his face. It takes a while to train them that way, but worth it. I can pm you the link to her thread about it if you'd like, just pm me and let me know!

Goodluck! He's a gorgeous little guy! definitely call the petstore in the mean time and see what they were doing

Back
Top Bottom