ID Cichlid Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardynas

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are these both Pseudotropheus socolofi? They not only look alike but act alike. I can see the mbuna in them but my Frontosa (largest fish in tank) seems to be keeping things under control (so far).

The LFS told me the light blue fish was a Powder Blue Mamba.

I have a mixed African tank. Do you think these two will cause trouble?

Thanks!

47010-albums11423-picture62187.jpg

47010-albums11423-picture62185.jpg

edit: Another of the darker cichlid - he's actually dark blue/purple

47010-albums11423-picture62186.jpg

Last edited:
The black one is an Auratus male. They are pretty rowdy.

The black one is an Auratus male. They are pretty rowdy.

Thanks for replying Slayer. You might have put me on the right track. He looks more like a Melanochromis chipokae. Now that I see this name I remember the guy that sold me the fish saying something about it being a Chipokae.

One of the Adult drop down pictures looks very close.

Melanochromis chipokae

edit: Looks like we both figured out our same fish on our 187th post.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying Slayer. You might have put me on the right track. He looks more like a Melanochromis chipokae. Now that I see this name I remember the guy that sold me the fish saying something about it being a Chipokae.

One of the Adult drop down pictures looks very close.

Melanochromis chipokae

Probably right. They are pretty similar.

Now that I look at the profiles more closely, what I thought was an Auratus in my tank is definitely a Chipokae.

That powder blue (whatever it is) has gotten very aggressive. He dug a burrow under a rock and now he's chasing fish randomly as he roams the tank. Looks like I might have to pull him. Going to have to pull some rock first if I want a chance of catching him.

47010-albums11423-picture62202.jpg

Keep an eye on any of the melanochromis in my opinion the most aggressive of mbuna johanni,auratus, and chipokae they are all pretty aggressive and will probably eventually dominate your tank.

Back
Top Bottom