Id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is in fact a johanni. Male. Females are yellow. Google it

Ya I understand the females are yellow but from what I seen johannis have more light blue then that one.. looks to me more like the maingano which is more often sold as male johannis in pet stores...the best way to figure it out is the maingano are born with there color unlike the johanni which male and female are "gome" johanni until they mature...there are also about 10 different mbunas with almost the exact same pattern that's why its only good to get them from a reputable breeder so what you get is what they actually are calling it

Mrc8858 said:
Ya I understand the females are yellow but from what I seen johannis have more light blue then that one.. looks to me more like the maingano which is more often sold as male johannis in pet stores...the best way to figure it out is the maingano are born with there color unlike the johanni which male and female are "gome" johanni until they mature...there are also about 10 different mbunas with almost the exact same pattern that's why its only good to get them from a reputable breeder so what you get is what they actually are calling it

I agree shops do mislabel fish but having also googled johanni I can see this coloration there in the line-up.The debate continues lol

Don't get me wrong you could very well be right I just don't think that there is any chance to definitively say what this is given all the variables... This could be a hybrid of maingano and johanni or others which is not uncommon to see especially when dealing with large chain stores that haven't got a clue of what there selling.. I had actually started a breeding group of johannis from josh Davis at livefishdirect which is why I kinda disagree with the johanni part..mine would always have much more "electric blue" and more solid barring while my maingano was very blotchy...this is the downside to mbunas I guess haha

We could figure it out possibly if the OP could inform us of the size and color of the fish when it was purchased and also if they were able to sex it because if its a female then id be 100% certain its not a johanni

Looks like a Melanochromis interruptus to me; but those are usually found in species tanks at the LFS.

kay-bee19 said:
Looks like a Melanochromis interruptus to me; but those are usually found in species tanks at the LFS.

I think we found us a winner lol

It is a male and had him for about 3 months he's 4" in size thanks all for the id

Firstly I would like to say that cyaneorhabdos "manigano", Johanni and Interruptus are no longer classifed under Melanochromis they have been changed to Pseudotropheus. After looking online and comparing body shape and color patterns I belive it is safe to assume that this fish is indeed a Interruptus.

Back
Top Bottom