ID, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK folks, bear with me. I want do ID some of the fish in these pics. Sorry for the quality, I only had my DX with me. Don't bother posting about the terribly incompatible mix of species/types/continetnts of origin in these tanks, but feel free to laugh out loud; I know. I am extremely limited so far as LFS in my area, and at least these tanks were clean. Don't ask me where they are from, but it's not where you think they are from.

First, this from store #1.image-4145478977.jpgWhat's the yellow one with the horizontal bar. Auratus?

Next, from store #2.image-1733642206.jpgimage-2426200193.jpgimage-2316757662.jpgWhat are the light blue ones with dark vertical bars? Kenyi?

What are the orange ones? Red Zebras?

Is that a Yellow-Tail Acei in there?

What are the grey-blue ones with faint vertical bars?

I'm pretty sure your right on all of them but the greyish ones I think are females and without previous knowledge before getting "mixed" in will be tough to say species.. but the auratus has amazing barring. Very nice specimen that I wouldn't have minded finding myself lol

Mrc8858 said:
I'm pretty sure your right on all of them but the greyish ones I think are females and without previous knowledge before getting "mixed" in will be tough to say species.. but the auratus has amazing barring. Very nice specimen that I wouldn't have minded finding myself lol

Thanks. I wish they were not so aggressive. It would tear up my labs, I'm afraid, from what I read about them.

I don't think that is an Auratus, It doesn't have any white stripes under its black ones.

image-217059514.jpg

Notice the white stripes.

But yours does look of the Melanochromis family.

Aquarist1234 said:
I don't think that is an Auratus, It doesn't have any white stripes under its black ones.

Notice the white stripes.

But yours does look of the Melanochromis family.

Yes THATS an aratus. Nice one ;)
Umm that one you found in the store looks pretty sweet, It could be an aratus hybrid maybe. I kinda want it i cant even lie lol

Jacobsal91 said:
Yes THATS an aratus. Nice one ;)
Umm that one you found in the store looks pretty sweet, It could be an aratus hybrid maybe. I kinda want it i cant even lie lol

I thought it might have been a Johanni hybrid.

55 I wouldn't trust a similar looking fish with an auratus but if you had 6' of territory I think that he would claim a portion and be fine with labs or other similar looking mbuna

What's the yellow one with the horizontal bar. Auratus?

Close, but actually that looks more like a melanochromis chipokae.

Chipokae lack the white stripes that m. auratus have and their caudal fins are differently patterned (the bottom-half of female and juvenile auratus caudal fins are yellow).

kay-bee19 said:
Close, but actually that looks more like a melanochromis chipokae.

Chipokae lack the white stripes that m. auratus have and their caudal fins are differently patterned (the bottom-half of female and juvenile auratus caudal fins are yellow).

How would that go in a 55 with some Labs?

How would that go in a 55 with some Labs?

I just set up my 55 and have Labs, Cobalts, Acei, and Afra Cobue. Tank is very chill, no one is overly aggressive and its a great color mix.

Attachments

• lab.jpg
    lab.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 63
  • cobalt.jpg
    cobalt.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 67
  • Cyno afra.jpg
    Cyno afra.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom