Id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithpants94

Aquarium Advice Freak
This little guy and girl have been in my tank for about three months now. They seem to get along with the rest of my mbuna, And I was just looking for some help figuring out what exactly they are.

I got them at the same time.

Here's what I believe to be the female

image-4070395661.jpg

image-580540552.jpg

And I think this is the male

image-3800415869.jpg

image-1472718941.jpg

Thanks in advance!

...unless male kenyi hold fry...that might not be correct.. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the description.

...unless male kenyi hold fry...that might not be correct.. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the description.

Female Psuedotropheous sp. "Elongatus Ornatus"?? Here's mine, she's a bit older at about 3 1/2 4"

Attachments

• image-3354429156.jpg
    image-3354429156.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 104
I don't beleive the first is "Elongatus Ornatus" as the OP's picture appears to have a more compressed body. Depending on the true color of the fish the first could be a female Psuedotropheous saulosi. Females generally are a brighter color, more orange than an electric yellow lab, but yellow none the less. i've had females that show some vertical barring, especially while holding. However, female saulosi don't typically don't grow larger than 3 inches. Its hard to tell the exact size of the fish in the picture.

The second picture looks like it could be a Melanochromis aurtus, or a speicies of Melanochromis, identified by the horizontal barring. However typically it is the female aurtus that is golden, while dominant males are blue/black. It may be a sub male too intimidated to color up.

Back
Top Bottom