ID this cichlid, please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midnighttang

Aquarium Advice Activist
Decided to add one Bolivian Ram to my tank after doing some research. It sounded like the best type of cichlid for me to start with in my established community tank. Anyway, I went to the LFS and went to the tank marked "Bolivian Rams". A surly teenage employee asked if he could help me. I asked if those were the Bolivian Rams. He grunted agreement, so I bought one. Now, after getting home, I'm worried that I might have been sent home with the wrong fish, because it doesn't seem to match the pics. Can anyone verify what I bought. It seems to be happily swimming around with my gourami now, but I want to return it if it is not appropriate for my tank. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-160214545.jpg
    image-160214545.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 146
  • image-4045445290.jpg
    image-4045445290.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 131
Definitely not a bolivian

ForumRunner_20120623_183659.jpg

Those are my Bolivians. As to what you were sold, I can't really help you, but I hope you get the answers you need

Yep, that's what I thought. Should have brought a picture with me or asked to speak to someone who actually knew what they were doing.

If this is the fish you bought, they get big and very territorial. If it was me personally, if this is correct, I'd take it back.

I think that's going to be my only option. I don't want to wait and see. Maybe another employee will actually recognize it.

Here's a few more pics

Attachments

• image-1089332736.jpg
    image-1089332736.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 113
  • image-2393191550.jpg
    image-2393191550.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 98
  • image-851221284.jpg
    image-851221284.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 93
I can tell you that it definitely is NOT a Bolivian ram, or even anything in the mikrogeophagus genus! Lol

Firemouth was suggested to me and, of all the pictures I've seen, it seems to be the most similar. I have no cichlid experience, so I'm just guessing :) He's an neat looking fish, so I wish I could keep him. Maybe I'll just have to get a bigger tank.

Most definitely also NOT a firemouth, or any other fish in the genus Thorichthys that I am aware of.

Hondatek said:
It kinda strikes me as maybe a salvini cichlid.

Colors are all wrong and head is too oddly shaped for a salvini :/ I'm still saying either red devil or Midas, although I lean towards red devil

Back
Top Bottom