Ideal environment for my African Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madwack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a mix of African Cichlids over the past few months, most are Elec Blue and a few mixed solid colors. Very attractive fish :). I currently have them in a 55 Gallon tank that has been running for 45 days. Two Fluval 303's for filtration. Current PH is 7.1-7.2 I currently feed them once a day for approx 3-5 min. Bio-blend and Wal-Mart Cichlid food.

What is the best Temp?
What is the best PH? Should I add PH additives?
How often should I feed them?
Any other Tricks of the Trade?

It sounds to me as though you have some Lake malawi cichlids, the filtration you have is fine, your ph could do with going up a touch. Malawi cichlids are a hard water fish and they also need lots of rocky hiding places. i wouldn't add a chemical ph adjuster i would add some chalky type rocks like Ocean rock or Tuffa rock, if you go to your local fish store they should be able to help. I am not sure what rock you get in the states. if they are mbuna then they need a algae based diet, a flake, tablet or pellet food with spiralina is a good food. DON'T give them a high protein food as this will cause intestinal blockages. Occassional feeding of frozen brine shrimp is ok. Feeding once or twice a day.

If you need to know any more just keep posting on here and someone will be glad to help.

I have a tone of plants and some small rocks, plenty of hiding spaces now. I have a feeling finding rocks from my fish store in Maine that will increase PH will be a challenge. The only "REAL" Fish store in my area said I would be better off with a $30 Wal-Mart Aqua Tech filter then my 2 Canisters. Additionally they told me by doing a 20 percent water change in my first 2 months I have destroyed the cycle process of the tank?? :roll:

Madwack,

If you're interested in replicating the REAL Lake Malawi, here's a site to give you some ideas. Obviously, large boulders are a little much for the 55, but you can certainly get appropriate rocks. As Terry so rightly commented, these rocks are essential to maintaining harmony in the tank, as they distinguish one area of the tank from another, and enable the fish to act accordingly. I can suggest to you Texas Holey Limestones to increase pH (and KH, GH), and for good looks (check out www.texasholeyrocks.com, then search for cheaper specimens on Ebay).

Here's the link: http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/diving_malawi_04.html

I feel this link has really given me a far better understanding of what Lake Malawi looks like. I hope it'll help you out, too.

Jonathan

Here is my Lake Malawi tank
( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=2025 ) .

I got my ideas from
( http://www.tropheus.info/riftlakes/cichlids/foto_uv_e.html ) .

The sand cost $5 at Home Depot and the rocks cost $25 at a plant nursery. I also bought eggcrate to line the bottom of the tank. The flat rocks don't exactly replicate the environment--I would prefer the rounded stones, but it's only a 30 gallon tank and the flat rocks allow me to make tons of caves and other hiding places. I have five yellow labs. Since they are vegetarians I feed them spirulina flakes and 2 algae wafers every day, and once or twice a week I feed them regular flake. I have read that feeding them brine shrimp once in a while will improve their color. It has been said before, but I'll repeat for emphasis. Malawi mbuna cichlids have very long intestinal tracts, to get the most nutrition from the algae and organisms they eat off of rocks. Feeding them too much animal protein will result in a condition called "Malawi bloat," a condition that is fatal.

You could also try to carefully change out (or just add to) your substrate with aragonite sand mail ordered (Big Al's was not too expensive for me), which will buffer your water and raise your pH. The plants may or may not do well in this environment. They might get dug up a bit and uprooted, depending upon what you have. If your LFS sells anything for SW tanks, you can use sand designed for marine aquariums. Any kind of base rock used in those setups will do the trick, also, but absolutely check out the plant nurseries or a quarry where you buy things like gravel and stone for outdoor applications. Limestone pavers work as well, and are cheap. This is really the best way to deal with your pH, and your fish will be happier.

BTW, I will post an updated pic as soon as the rocks get a nice algae mat.

The sand I bought from Home Deopt is argonite sand, from the carribean--$5 for 50# instead of $20 for 20# at the lfs.

Back
Top Bottom