Ideas for soon to be build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldieLocks1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All!

So, I have a 5ft long 354 litre tank. I am sorry, I don't know what that is in US gallons :/

I have had Goldfish for a while in a smaller tank, but now I have bought this it is time for a change! :) I am hoping for Cichlids. I really need all the help I can get!

I will buy a Fluval FX5 and erm...lights I have no idea. Also 2 200w heaters. Or do I need more?

This is the list of fish I would like:

I was advised to buy loads of juvies and then wait for them to turn to adults and then sale of the males so that it is 1 male to every 4 females.

Bumblebee Cichlid x4
Electric Yellow x 4
Taiwan Reef x 2
Yellow Peacock x 4
Red Peacock x4

Well, that's all. PLEASE pick it to pieces! As you can tell I love the really colourful yellows and blues. So any more suggestions along that line! :)

Thank you

I would dump the mbuna from the list, and bump up the final stocking numbers to 5-7 of each speices. Plus I would add another fish selection or bump the 4 speices to 7-9 of each. There are some mbuna that you may get away with but not with Pseudotropheus crabro as they are one of the more aggressive fish. Personally I would stick with just peacocks and skip the mbuna.

I began with all mbuna myself last year and ended up going with a peacock/hap tank. I rehomed all the mbuna and got some really nice peacocks. I found the mbuna to be really active but as they reached adults I ran into aggression and mating issues.

I did keep two mbunas so they are surrounded by 18 other haps and peacocks. :-D It's not the best way to go but I have some really mellow fish. LOL

354l is a nice size Aquarium will be a big difference after those goldfish :) Where about are you in England? I know a breeder who is delivering fish like once a month when he gets enough order. He is doing trips from Manchester London via Birmingham. The reason I am saying this he has better selection than most of the shops. I can send you details if you are interested. Have you looked at cichlids from Lake Tanganyika?

Hukit and Carey! Thank you for your replies! Now your going to find out how bad I am at this already!

I erm, have no idea which one is the Mbuna! :/ I told you I need help! LOL. I thought they all were peacocks as I went on to a site and they were all under 'Lake Malawi Cichlids' I didn't want Mbuna, they are a bit too aggressive for me. I'm the fish keeper that gets all anxious when I see a fish chasing the other one! And I didn't want any Haps because Hukit you already told me that you would advise a 6ft for them. Hukit, I think I will go with your idea of adding another breed and bumping the numbers up. I would like more of a variety. Can you suggest one for me please?

And Carey I totally LOVE your 125g!! I read that thread. I'm going along the lines of your thread with mine! Hehehe.

354l is a nice size Aquarium will be a big difference after those goldfish :) Where about are you in England? I know a breeder who is delivering fish like once a month when he gets enough order. He is doing trips from Manchester London via Birmingham. The reason I am saying this he has better selection than most of the shops. I can send you details if you are interested. Have you looked at cichlids from Lake Tanganyika?

THANK YOU! I will PM you in two secs! :)

Hmmm. BOO. I liked that one. Oh well. Thank you! Which other one would you choose? Thank you :)

Add another peacock speices and bump up those stocking numbers to 1m to 4/5 females and your stock list looks great. Buy alot of juvies to start since males don't start showing color till around 2" then rehome the rest when you hit your final stock plans. Or you could always do a all male tank but I think males show the best colors in the presence of females.

Back
Top Bottom