Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Almost looks like a female kenyi to me. Is there any striping on the fish, there is a slight glare that makes it hard to see.

Here are some more pics and no its not a kenyi I kno what they look like it gsa no striping also

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110724_215707.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110724_215707.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 167
Sorta looks like my p. socolofi, ( powder blue cichlid) but lighter. Some of mine have the black on fins and others don't.

Cobalt Blue Zebra (Metriaclima callainos).

Members of the zebra complex (metriclima/maylandia genus) have a more 'stocky' build than the 'torpedo-shaped' pseudotropheus socolofi's. Cobalts also lack the black fin markings and have a different head and mouth structure.

As for gender, I'm leading toward female based on:
-the proportional size of the pelvic fins (the same fins of matured males would be longer)

-rounded dorsal and anal fin tips (fin tips of the males are tapered)

- overall color of the fish (more gray-blue than the vibrant blue that the males display).

With all that said, an immature male could potentially possess fin characteristics and coloration of the opposite gender, so venting (visual inspection of the fish's openings) is recommended for absolute gender confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom