Identification??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaelaarnold

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471730341.972991.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471730360.471342.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471730375.749694.jpg
I work at Petsmart and We Received this fish a few days ago as a "red Texas" and obviously it's not one. Any clue what it is?
Thank you ?

•30 gallon community-10 gallon hermit crab-5 gallon betta WIP-30 gallon bearded dragon WIP•

Amatitlania nigrofasciata, aka a Convict

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks to be a nigrofasciata hybrid, probably flowerhorn x convict. Either way that does not appear to be a naturally occurring species (not that a red Texas is either, but I digress)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For redundancy, I also thought it was a suspicious looking Convict.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless it's possibly a young a. Hogaboomorum, although I doubt that being mistakenly sent in place for a red Texas lol

Idk i ordered some convicts for someone and looked likenthose

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Idk i ordered some convicts for someone and looked likenthose

I do know that that's not a convict. Convicts don't have a green head. The stripes aren't right, the head shape is off. Not a pure amatitlania nigrofasciata

I do know that that's not a convict. Convicts don't have a green head. The stripes aren't right, the head shape is off. Not a pure amatitlania nigrofasciata

Ok if thats not it then, what is it?? Imo convicts at work exactly like that but o well guees not. Wonder what it is then

Ok if thats not it then, what is it?? Imo convicts at work exactly like that but o well guees not. Wonder what it is then

I have gotten that it is a convict quite a bit and my manager says it is too but I agree the shape of the head is weird and it is quite large. We normally get convicts that are around 3 inches and this guy is well over 7.

•30 gallon community-10 gallon hermit crab-5 gallon betta WIP-30 gallon bearded dragon WIP•

Just as I said, likely a flowerhorn x convict hybrid, looks suspiciously like a hogaboomorum hybrid. Just as HUKIT stated, looks like an amphilophus hybrid. Just because a fish looks a little bit like a certain species doesn't mean you can ignore the differences. This is why hobbyists get so frustrated over the sale of hybrids. "It looks like this a bit, so let's call it this!".

Back
Top Bottom