Identify Fish and Is behavior normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doberman15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I haven't posted much to this. I've been relying on other answers to help me out. I've been realizing lately though that my tank hasnt been as active as it was before.

To make a long story short, the tank was originally in the living room, then was moved to another room for about a month and a half, and has since been moved back to the living room. They were very active when they were in the living room the first time, I didn't give them much attention in the other room, as they were out of the way, but I've noticed that in the past month that they've been back in the living room, they're not as energetic as in the past.

I've got 3 Cichlids (not sure what kinds, hopefully you can help ID them), two of which are about 2 inches long, and a brown one whos a big guy somewhere in the 5 inch range. I've got a rainbow shark who has claimed a little piece of decor as his property, a common pleco, and a strong surviving kuhli loach that's kept going since about a year ago when my tank had a bunch of little tropicals (mollys, platys, etc) in it.

The shark never moves, which he never has. He just protects his home, and I'm fine with that since it's not a change. The pleco does his own thing as well, and I only see the loach in the evenings for a few brief minutes before he hides again. My concern is that my once spunky Cichlids have lost a little bounce in their step. They use to roam all over the tank, now they just stay low and hide in the plants. I did a water change a couple of days ago, since it'd been a few weeks of them acting strange, and double checked my levels and everything is A-Okay.

The only changes I've had in the past month is that I added a live plant, and I changed filters to a quieter and nicer filter. I did run both filters for about a week to allow the bacteria to build up on the new filter. I'll attach pics, please tell me what the brown, blue, and yellow cichlid are, and also let me know if this hiding and inactive behavior is normal for periods of time.

I've seen in some posts that cichlids like to have a bigger group, but I'm not sure if I could comfortably keep any more in. I guess I technically have some room if I follow the 1 inch per gallon rule, but I dont want to make aggressive style fish feel crowded.

Tank.jpg

Brown Cichlid.jpg

Blue Cichlid.jpg

Yellow Cichlid.jpg

Brown one may be a Compressed Cichlid? What do you think? They were all about an inch long in a tank full of random different color Cichlids when I got them, the brown one grew rapidly, while the other two stayed fairly small.

Second one looks like a convict cichlid don't know the others sorry.

I thought that too, but I couldn't ever get a straight answer from people about if a convict was blue with dark blue stripes, which mine is, or if it was more of a light grey with dark grey stripes. Some pictures I see online of them seem like they're more grey.

The striped one is not a convict, I don't know what it is but definitely not convict.

The last one looks like a red zebra maybe but I'm not 100% sure...

Good luck :)

Niki said:
The striped one is not a convict, I don't know what it is but definitely not convict.

The last one looks like a red zebra maybe but I'm not 100% sure...

Good luck :)

I was thinking red zebra too but it was to light to be one (my red zebra looks different). My brother has the exact same striped one so I always assumed it was a convict .

Fishie said:
I was thinking red zebra too but it was to light to be one (my red zebra looks different). My brother has the exact same striped one so I always assumed it was a convict .

Yea that's why I was unsure if it was a red zebra too but if stressed they can go pale...

Convicts have a different Body shape than the one in the pic, different head and Finns too

Second is a kenyi (depending on maturity its probably a male since its stripes are so light and will eventually turn yellow.) The third is a red zebra

What are your water parameters. Have you tested recently. Also what type of food do you give them.

Malawi Freak said:
Second is a kenyi (depending on maturity its probably a male since its stripes are so light and will eventually turn yellow.) The third is a red zebra

What are your water parameters. Have you tested recently. Also what type of food do you give them.

Agree on Kenyi and a light red zebra !

I dont think the yellow one is a red zebra... as he's been that yellow since I got him. I dont notice any striping on him. Hes almost in between a yellow and orange color.

After looking at pictures, blue is definitely a kenyi though, so thank you Malawi for that.

I checked water a few days ago after a water change, and everything looked good. I just checked again now.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
PH - 7.2
Alkalinity - 100ish

My water is a little soft (80 or so), but I was told it's normal for water to be just a little bit soft in the North East, and it's nothing to be worried about. Plus it's always been in that range since I started my tank a last year.

doberman15 said:
I dont think the yellow one is a red zebra... as he's been that yellow since I got him. I dont notice any striping on him. Hes almost in between a yellow and orange color.

After looking at pictures, blue is definitely a kenyi though, so thank you Malawi for that.

I checked water a few days ago after a water change, and everything looked good. I just checked again now.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
PH - 7.2
Alkalinity - 100ish

My water is a little soft (80 or so), but I was told it's normal for water to be just a little bit soft in the North East, and it's nothing to be worried about. Plus it's always been in that range since I started my tank a last year.

I dont know about the light yellowish one. I thought I had a convict like your Kenyi appears to be Kenyi too!! Good parameters though good job :)

Sorry, forgot about food. I put random veggies in there for Pleco. Ive seen the cichlids graze on that here and there (last night was cucumber which are just little green rings of remains after work, looks like those were a bit of a hit). I have some cichlid pellets, some sinking algae wafers, and some tropical flakes. I have a pretty wide range of foods because I have a wide range of fish. They all seem to share pretty well, and I've rarely noticed any food left behind in the sediment.

It's definately a red zebra.

Ya know what... after looking some more at them in some image searches... looks like the juveniles have a much lighter coloring, and get darker as they age. Every time I see one in a search its a nice deep red until I typed in "light red zebra" and it was a million results displaying young ones.

The first one MIGHT be an ob peacock. The second IS a kenyi and I believe the third is a red zebra. Good luck!

Beautiful fish!!

It's not really normal...cichlids should be having fun all over the tank. What size tank do you have? You might need a few more in there.

The first one MIGHT be an ob peacock. The second IS a kenyi and I believe the third is a red zebra. Good luck!

Beautiful fish!!

It's not really normal...cichlids should be having fun all over the tank. What size tank do you have? You might need a few more in there.

I talked to a guy at the local pet store (he's usually very on the ball) and he said that I may be understocked. He said that cichlids are usually very active unless they dont see much activity. If they dont see much activity they assume theres a preditor, and they wait it out until someone else goes out to test the water. He recommended at least one more big fish, or a few small ones.

If it's at full stock than they wont be able to hide as much, so they wont feel like they have to hide. Who knows if its true, but the way he explained it made sense.

I got a peacock cichlid tonight, and seeing him near the other brown cichlid I've got, I doubt that the two are the same. The faces are sort of a different shape, and their patterns are very different. The new peacock I have has a very defined pattern, while my mystery cichlid seems to have a more random, spotted, leopard like pattern.

Hopefully the addition brings them out a little more. I also got a few ghost shrimp to help clean up a little bit more before becoming dinner.

Beautiful fish!!

OH! Didnt specifically look up an OB Peacock... that does look a lot more similar with the random patterning.

doberman15 said:
OH! Didnt specifically look up an OB Peacock... that does look a lot more similar with the random patterning.

I had one briefly that kinda looked like yours, but I'm the first to tell you I don't know much about peacocks or haps...I'm an mbuna girl (or frontosa!)

Maybe some of the others here will chime in with their thoughts.

That IS an OB Peacock, got one in my African tank just like him. They seem timid, make sure you ph stays close to 8.0 and your water has a good hardness for buffer capacity. I notice when I used softer water once, my Africans tend to be less active. Tank looks clear tho!

Hey all, thanks for all of the advice and identifying tips. With the addition of my new peacock last night, there has sprung up a lot more activity. I'm not certain yet if it's good activity yet or not, they seem to be fighting any time they swim close to each other. The OB has come out of his corner and has moved around. I expect that the new addition may have been enough to up the population to just the right amount.

Do these guys typically stay down by the substrate though? They are moving around quite a bit, but all but my new addition are still staying down low. I just watched them for about 20 minutes and I rarely saw anyone but the new guy go above maybe 2 inches off the floor.

Back
Top Bottom