Identify mbuna from Petco mixed tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HondaKid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm having a hard time finding different variety of mbuna to stock my tank with. I was browsing through a local Petco today whereas they only had 2 "mixed" African Cichlid tanks - no species specific tanks. Sadly, my selection has been limited to this point, so I'm hoping to find some "diamonds in the mix".

As much as I can, I'm trying to avoid stocking my tank with any hybrids. I know at some point it may occur just based on nature once I get the tank stocked, but I want to try to at least start it off "pure." I know mixed tanks typically translate to hybrids, but these seemed like they could potential be "pure." Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sorry for the bad quality pics, they were taken with my camera phone.

First one appears to be a red zebra?? The orange on it really is a little bit brighter in person - just bad pic quality.
img_1004479_0_6c7353ec9897fa892db4639980d182dd.jpg

The guy working there claimed this next one as a Saulosi?? Its a light blue.
img_1004479_1_8fa67ad1a356f44f644f29409b5a8f3e.jpg

Yellow lab? Again, it was a bright yellow, just bad pic. The "markings" on it seem to be consistent with pures.
img_1004479_2_56c1b36894924e3fcd95d9af4f0101ee.jpg

What type of indications can I look for specifically in the Yellow Labs and Red Zebras that let me know they're not "pure?"

I know my odds aren't great that these aren't hybrids..but let me know what you think.

Thanks!

The pictures are too small to make a proper identification do you have a larger set? It is doubtful that they aren't hybrids as usually the petco mixed african tanks are "mutt tanks". Although personally I would not worry about them being hybrids unless you were planning on selling any offspring in which case I could understand.

Back
Top Bottom