Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2022, 11:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Identify these cichlids

I have acquired two cichlids from a friend. I am curious as to the breed. I believe a type of peacock.? I am curious so I can make sure I keep the tank specs in range for them. They are in a community 90gal for now. Plants and caves. Made three.

Any info is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221125_155005.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	324374   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221125_154653.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	324375  

Old 11-26-2022, 02:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The top picture looks like an OB peacock. OB is short for orange blotch. They are also called marbled peacock. The fish is an Aulonocara species but it could be any species or even a hybrid because the OB colour form is man made (not GM but for hybridising different species for more colours). They are from Lake Malawi in Africa and do best in water with a pH between 7.6-8.0, and a GH around 300ppm.

The second picture looks a bit like an Mbuna species but I have no idea what. It is also an OB colour form from Lake Malawi.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you for the response. One of those situations where dad bought kid aquarium and both lost interest. He had ten total, manage to find homes for all but two. I took them reluctantly but so far they seem to be chill. In with some cordoras, brittlenose, and a few cherry barbs. And guppies, whom I think will become food.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The cherry barbs and guppies might become food for the peacock cichlid if it's big, but if you keep him well fed, he won't actively hunt them. The Corydoras and bristlenose should be ok with him.

The main issue is the fish you had are from soft water, whereas these 2 new cichlids come from hard water. Ideally you want a second tank to put them in and add some mineral salts to raise the GH, if you have soft water.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The guppies are gone, they lasted two days. I knew that would happen. I was suprise that the big ones got taken so fast though.

My water is about wear cichlids like it from the tap which is handy. The Cory's and plecos have been in it for years, should be fine.

Why do you add salt?

Only thing I added is a heater. My tank was room heated, sat around 72deg. I have the heater set to 75 for now. See how it goes.
Current Stock - 14 Columbia Tetra/11 Serpae Tetra/16 Prisella Tetra/6 Yoyo Loach/1 Red Tail Shark/10 Giant Danio /2 Lazer Corys/6 Bolivian Rams/4 Otocinculus /6 Borneo Suckers/ 1 Albino Bushy Nose Pleco/ Flame Moss / Moneywort / Vallesaris / Java Fern...
jeffruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffruth View Post
Why do you add salt?
If you have soft water with a low mineral content, you add mineral salts (calcium chloride & magnesium chloride) to increase the general hardness (GH) of the water. However, if you have hard water coming from the tap, you don't need to add any mineral salts.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Colin, the top fish is clearly an OB. I have female peacock OBs with the same coloration as the bottom fish. Please tell me what your experienced eyes see that mine can’t to be able to say the second’s possibly a mbuna. Could it also be a mutt?
Old 12-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

jeffruth, you made 3 caves? How? I’m forever messing up on my DIY caves.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky12 View Post
Colin, the top fish is clearly an OB. I have female peacock OBs with the same coloration as the bottom fish. Please tell me what your experienced eyes see that mine canít to be able to say the secondís possibly a mbuna. Could it also be a mutt?
The second fish could be a funny shaped Aulonocara or a Mbuna or a bitsa (mutt). It has a funny shaped head and mouth (or it might be the picture making it look odd). Peacocks also tend to spend more time out in the open whereas Mbuna tend to hand closer to the rocks and substrate. The fish in the second picture might just be stressed and hanging by the gravel because of that.

You can make caves from ceramic or plastic flower pots. Ceramic is better and you can use them as is or cut them in half (from top to bottom) with a hacksaw. You can get limestone rocks and drill big holes in them or use acid, but acid is a lot slower. Pvc pipe can also be used.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, jeffruth, they made fast work of the guppies! How big are these new fish? I bought my first group of peacocks/syno cats from a guy who kept his house at 70F 24/7. He had no tank heaters. I saw online he’s not the only one to go 70F. I couldn’t possibly keep my house that warm & use heaters & keep them at 72-76F.

Colin, by ceramic do you mean terra cotta? I use those flower pots for hides. The husband has a big hole attachment for a drill and opens the bottom, partially. I also have PVC pipes hides. Never thought of drilling limestone!
Old 12-03-2022, 08:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes, ceramic and terra cotta pots are same thing. Clay pots for pot plants.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

All I did was take some flat rocks, slate chunks, and river rocks. I built caves in the sense that I made sure there were line of sight blocks, and places to sneak in and out of. Also have java ferns and fire moss through the tank.

However, the saga continues. I now have a electric blue cichlid, 2 jewels, and a convict. The rehoming of the other fish went south so I took them all.

For now the tank is peaceful, however I need to watch as they grow. Most likely scale down to one Jewel once I see who has the best temper. Have a buddy that will take one, but it has to grow out first as his tank is well established with some large fish. 4+ inches for most. My little jewels are only 1.5"-2".
Old 12-10-2022, 01:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some fish pics and the tank...it is fish tank maintance day as the glass is very dirty...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221210_093547.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	324442   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221210_093618.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	324443  

Name:	20221210_093844.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	324444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221210_093717.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	324445  

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, identify

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com