If you want males...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeCasa

Aquarium Advice Freak
In two weeks I'm adding a dozen cichlid to a 150 with lots of hiding places. I don't want to discuss what breeds I'm using because I don't want this thread to go that direction, so let's just assume that all species will be aggressive.

I will need to stock the tank within two months so that I can keep all the species at the same size. The problem is that many of the species I've chosen I want males only and there is a contradiction on availability of pre-sexed sizes.

Any ideas or suggestions. I know that different breeds can be sexed at different sizes but most cichlids can be sexed at 2" +. I hate having to dispose of accidental females but I can not allow breeding in this tank or it will be a slaughter. In some species the male and females are both beautiful but for many species.......

Buy multiple fry and cull or buy 2 inchers which can be hard to get

Thanks

I would cull and keep the males I like best, you can always sell the ones you don't want to other hobbyists or trade them to your lfs for supplies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree, I have 4 stores within an hour that take trade ins, especially females because they breed them.

Thanks

So generally try and buy three? and ask if they'll take the others back in trade? I never knew that stores did that.

How about the fish you buy online, I know the $$$ numbers are not a biggie because the shipping costs are the same for three as for one. But will the local stores take these providing they're healthy sell-able fish?

The truth is that I don't have any friends that raise cichlids and I don't have the heart to kill them

Donovan - Atlantis

I have been in the same boat that is why my stocking is going slowly. I have trouble finding males at lfs. I hit them often and buy them when I can. It's also the reason why I have ended up with smaller tanks holding juvies and females. I have done pretty well picking out males from unsexed fish. I usually go with the largest/most aggressive in the tank. I currently do have a few females in my grow out tank but colors are starting to come in on several of my juvies. I think I got 8 out of 10 on my last group. I also don't have the heart to cull but I checked last time I hit the store and they said they are willing to take them. Going to wait a little longer to make sure they are females though. The hardest part is waiting. I bought a bunch of juvies 3 months ago and they are just starting to show color.

Back
Top Bottom