Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm back with questions..lol!

Hey all

I know it's been awhile since I was "active" in here. I have been lurking in the background once in a while reading up.
My set ups have changed since last and I still have to update my profile. So please disregard the stocking in there. It has been rectified!
So the reason for my post..
I've been running the 65gal now stocked with mixed Malawi cichlids (12 in total) one syno cat and two plecos. All with no issues for the last year or so. Until four days ago when my levels came back with a huge spike in ammonia,nitrites and nitrates! I did two pwc's the first 25% the second because of no change 50% Still no change so I went out and picked up "tank buster" it's basically is supposed to restore your beneficial bacteria by converting the ammonia and such faster. Hasn't worked to this point. I'm sitting here wondering do I do another big water change? Is that helping at this point or hurting more? I'm guessing my tank has jumped (for some bizarre reason) back into cycling? As I didn't do anything different with this tank and it spiked. Or because of the age of my tank (over 15 years) could I be battling something else here? Old tank syndrome? Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated while I'm sitting here staring at my tank scratching my head with a heavy heart as my fishes are gasping...

Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I'm taking this tank down to next to nothing for water in it and seeing if that's going to help??

Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do bigger water changes and then test again. Have you changes filters or done massive gravel cleanings? Or did this just happen? Have you tested tap water?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the process of taking 75% of the water out. I haven't done anything different at all. That's why I'm dumbfounded. No media swaps nothing added not even fish I do 25% pwc weekly checking levels vacuuming substrate an this last week bam spiked!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try Seachem Stability.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did that it was one of the first things I thought of too. So even after that and a couple other things I took a sample with me when I went to buy the tank buster crap and had them test it too. Same results I got.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look at my sad sad tank ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3735532944.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	153764  
Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
Look at my sad sad tank ..
You'll get through this. Water changes are your friend. Missing any fish? Just a thought.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol! Thanks Convict All present and accounted for actually. Thank god!!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

^^agree, there has to be a reason for the spike. Missing fish, something in the tank that wasn't supposed to be there, you wiped the outside of the tank down with windex, etc? Stay on top of your testing and your water changes, but also try and determine the source. If something got dropped in your tank and its still there, water changes aren't going to help.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok found a busted thermometer..could that be it? The red part is still Incased just the glass was cracked? It was wedged behind one of my HOB canisters. I know I need better filtration in that tank and that's partly why I've been so strict with my weekly maintenance.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and my assassins have been breeding like mad? I'm so puzzled...
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I've refilled and I'm going to check my levels again after supper (hubby's hungry) hopefully all is good now. Still haven't a clue what caused it to begin with. Thank you for the input thus far
Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok I've refilled and I'm going to check my levels again after supper (hubby's hungry) hopefully all is good now. Still haven't a clue what caused it to begin with. Thank you for the input thus far
Keep us posted. I'm curious to see your parameters after that major water change. Enjoy supper

Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks again and will do! I'm quite curious too!!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I finished supper and let the tank settle a bit and have now retested. Here are the results

And this is what the fish are still doing :-(
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4232616379.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	153853   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4245596641.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	153855  

Name:	image-289031004.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	153856   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1606889672.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	153858  

Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well Mel

Parameters look way way better!! GREAT job!!!

Now relax, just keep an eye on things. Your probably going to have to do another water change in the am. You might me going through a mini cycle. But you a great support group!!! US!!!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know I should be happy happy!! But I'm still worrying lol! Until my fishes are swimming around and playing again I don't think I'll be able to not worry. Lol! I'm thrilled the levels came down! It's really bothering me as to what started all this. Why did they spike in the first place and when will my lil buddies be back to themselves? I'm not going to do any more tonight. I think I'll shut their lights off early tonight give them more time to "sleep" and hopefully tomorrow morning they'll be better. I'll let you know what the results show tomorrow morning. Thank you again Dino!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I know I should be happy happy!! But I'm still worrying lol! Until my fishes are swimming around and playing again I don't think I'll be able to not worry. Lol! I'm thrilled the levels came down! It's really bothering me as to what started all this. Why did they spike in the first place and when will my lil buddies be back to themselves? I'm not going to do any more tonight. I think I'll shut their lights off early tonight give them more time to "sleep" and hopefully tomorrow morning they'll be better. I'll let you know what the results show tomorrow morning. Thank you again Dino!
Anytime Mel!! Hey just curious whats your light schedule? We'll figure it out. there's always a reason. I agree with Renegade maybe something got into the tank? In a cycled tank you shouldn't be seeing such drastic spikes. I NEVER see ammonia or nitrites, just nitrAtes.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't sleep.. I'm sitting here in the dark looking into my tank..(not that I can see or do anything else) racking my brain. Lol! I turn the lights on around 10-11am and shut them down around 9-10 pm. It fluctuates with the amount of natural light that comes in. Winter season I have them on the above, summer they're on for shorter times. The tank itself isn't in any direct sunlight but the house is brighter during different times and I didn't think they needed the extra light on them. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com