I'm no expert....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
But these aint no rasboras!

A friend showed up at work with two of these little guys today. He knew that I was waiting for a breeder to contact me with GBR's and he saw these at his LFS, so he bought two of them. They were marked as rasboras and were sold to him for $4.00 each!!

I'm skeptical, but optimistic.

Attachments

• gbr_1_144.jpg
    gbr_1_144.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 30
  • gbr_2_997.jpg
    gbr_2_997.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 38
I agree, they look nothing like any rasbora I've ever seen. :wink: GBR's for $4.00 is an amazing price and someone should tell that LFS guy he is undercutting his profits. :ROFLMAO:

I'm still going to buy from the breeder that crazyred suggested for a few more. I just hope that these guys are not the frankenstein fish I have been reading about. Where they are all loaded up with hormones.

The chances are good that they are imports, which does no one any good (especially if the LFS guy knew that advance and purposely mislabeled them to get them out of the store :evil: ).

IMO, there is nothing better than a breeder. Good idea to go with Red's source. (y)

You can't argue with success. Red's had great "luck" with her rams she bought from this guy on aquabid. I'm sure her success is much more than luck but it's good to know you can start with good stock from a breeder that comes recommended.

These really are beautiful fish. I didn't know that they liked to eat little pond snails. They are having a grand time just cruising the bottom of the tank and the plants sucking the little snails out of their shells.

Thanks for the endorsments y'all!!! LOL Yes, those are rams...not rasboras. LOL What a moron that LFS guy must be.

Sparky, trust me on the Aquabid guy. My rams were so awesome and the 10 babies that I have raised to near adulthood are testament to that.

Now, don't be surprised if the rams you get from the breeder on aquabid far outlive the "rasboras" that your friend brought to you. What a good friend, BTW. Just don't get to terribly attached to your new "rasboras". I have a hard time trusting LFS rams.....especially if said LFS owner can't tell a cichlid from South America from a cyprinid from South East Asia!!! 8O

:)

Your ears must have been burning.

I kind of expect these poor little guys not to be around all that long. I will however try my best to keep them here.

Only 7 days left!!

Yeah, all you can do is your best and hope. You never know...they might surprise you. I'm not trying to discourage you, just injecting some realism into what I know about rams.

A whole WEEK to wait, man, that's a bummer, but at least the "rasboras" will get the chance to settle in before their adversaries arrive. :D

Nope, can't say that I have. LOL , boy, do I wish. I have tons of those 'pest' snails that came in with my plants, and the only fish I've ever seen go after them are my angel fish. The rams just ignored them as do all the other fish in my 55.

I thought about getting a loach or two, but my 55 is a SA biotope (sorta) I don't want any fish from a whole other continent in there. hehehe

Well, just as predicted one of these little guys has already died. Of the two this one seemed to breathe really heavy from the minute I had him. Found him at the surface gasping for air but all the other fish in the tank were doing just fine. Put him in a QT with an air stone and foam filter to see if I could help.... Nope.

The other one seems to be doing much better though. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom