Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Im starting a 75 gallon cichlid tank

I've done piranha, Oscar, red tail cat, and just about every freshwater fish in between. I have never done a pure cichlid tank though. So as my wife and I are setting up the tank, what should we know about these guys? Tank mates, food, temp, how many in a 75g tank, any other dos and donts... Thanks a lot.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you thinking African or new world? I'll gladly chime in on new world as that's all I'm familiar with.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #3

Honestly I don't know the difference. We want bright fish. We picked up a bright yellow one with black on his top fin as well as a bright solid orange one. Also got a flowerhorn cichlid. Found out the flowerhorn is vicious lol. Within five hours he killed 3 xray tetras in my 30 gallon tank where I am holding the three cichlids I purchased until the 75 is ready for them. I'm not sure what the name is of the yellow or orange and feel dumb for not knowing but the tank I got them out if at the pet store did not say... Just said medium cichlids on it.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

try not to mix african and sa/ca. they dont belong with each other. i reccomend africans over sa cichlids, they in general are brighter and more lively in my oppinion.
peacocks are really nice too.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #5

Wish I knew the difference... Lol
Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Trewavas Red-Finned Cichlid, Red-finned Cichlid, Labeotropheus trewavasae

You can browse through a bunch of Cichlids on this site and narrow your search to the african, dwarf, peacock, malawi, etc etc.

When you see Malawi, it refers to the lake that they come from. Many different cichlids come from Lake Malawi and Lake Tanganyika. Species like Mbuna, peacocks, etc come from these lakes.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #7

Thank you for the advice
Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy1987
Honestly I don't know the difference. We want bright fish. We picked up a bright yellow one with black on his top fin as well as a bright solid orange one. Also got a flowerhorn cichlid. Found out the flowerhorn is vicious lol. Within five hours he killed 3 xray tetras in my 30 gallon tank where I am holding the three cichlids I purchased until the 75 is ready for them. I'm not sure what the name is of the yellow or orange and feel dumb for not knowing but the tank I got them out if at the pet store did not say... Just said medium cichlids on it.
Without seeing a picture I cannot be sure but the yellow fish sounds like a yellow lab ( caeruleus) and the orange may be a red zebra. These two fish are a common Malawi cichlids. If you want my opinion I would select this species for your new tank as are very brightly coloured with plenty of selection. With this species you ve got to remember there are two types, Mbuna and peacock, some people only keep one type and others like to mix like myself, further reading would be required before choosing which to keep. Here is a link of many of the popular Malawi cichlids.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...us_gallery.php
And a link to a video of my tank
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...nNCOUt4A&gl=GB
Any more questions just ask.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may notice a slight loss in color of peacocks if there are a lot of mbuna with it. Mbuna are aggressive and sometimes/usually stress out peacocks.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak
You may notice a slight loss in color of peacocks if there are a lot of mbuna with it. Mbuna are aggressive and sometimes/usually stress out peacocks.
+ 1 I've seen this first hand.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, cichlid, ich, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com