Im thinking about a pair of Dwarf Cockatoo's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw some in the shop the other day and they looked nice, i was wandering if anyone has anything to warn me of, or advise me before buying?

I read they like... slow moving water, heavily planted tanks, dark substrate, driftwood.

The only thing i dont have is slow moving water, its not fast at all and they can go to calmer areas of the tank away from the water coming in from the filter.

I tested my Ammonia and Nitrite and there both 0ppm.
I read they are a more hardy cichlid but water quality is still essential.
I do a pwc every 2 weeks but test it every week to check the parameters.

A male and female would be needed im guessing?

I also read they are a peacefull cichlid and wont uproot plants.
They are in a tank with tetra's in the shop and i have black neons & danios so everything seems fine to me.

I have a 20 gal tank
Rena Filstar XP2 External Filter (my tank is heavily overfiltered, water is clear as day)
Fish : 3 danios, 1 clown pleco, 1 female bristlenose pleco, 3 yoyo loaches, 5 black neons.

It seems to me that you have everything covered. They are indeed a nice addition to a planted tank and will display similar characteristics of other SA dwarf cichlids (apistos). They will do better with soft acidic water. A m/f is not absolutely necessary.

I bought a pair today a male and a female, they have been in my tank for about an hour now i can only see one though.

Im not sure if it is the male or female, i looked all over the tank to see the other one but its nowhere.

I read that they like caves to hide in, i have a few hiding places but they are taken up by my loaches and anything that swims by gets chased away.

Is this normal for a new cockatoo, i've never had a problem like this before with any other fish

Back
Top Bottom