Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-20-2023, 11:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Americancichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Uk
Posts: 9
In 180 gallon aquarium how many large cichlids can you have.

Hi all I am a new member and I keep American cichlids. How many big American cichlids do you guys think can go in a 180 gallon tank or a 682 litre tank. Thanks.

__________________
Americancichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Perth in Western Australia
Posts: 1,255
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
What species of cichlid did you want to keep?
Did you want to breed them?

You could have 1 managuense cichlid. Or you could have a pr of Oscars. If you get all females and the fish are smaller and more peaceful, you could have more. It comes down to the tank size, species and sex of the fish.
__________________
Colin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 03:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jacky12's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 673
It all depends. My advice would be proceed slowly and see how things go. I tend to keep my population on the low side in my cichlid tanks, whereas some cram them in. The guy who had an accidental breeding of beautiful OBs kept 40 in a 90 g. These were African varieties. He felt the dense population reduced aggression, along with keeping them in very dim lighting. I was surprised, but later read his practices are not all that unusual.

I am getting good info from Facebook groups devoted to specific types of fish. I’m sure there’s one on American cichlids. I’m in ones for Oscars, plecos, OBs, dojo loaches, clown loaches, goldfish and Jack Dempsey cichlids.
__________________
Jacky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Americancichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Uk
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky12 View Post
It all depends. My advice would be proceed slowly and see how things go. I tend to keep my population on the low side in my cichlid tanks, whereas some cram them in. The guy who had an accidental breeding of beautiful OBs kept 40 in a 90 g. These were African varieties. He felt the dense population reduced aggression, along with keeping them in very dim lighting. I was surprised, but later read his practices are not all that unusual.

I am getting good info from Facebook groups devoted to specific types of fish. Iím sure thereís one on American cichlids. Iím in ones for Oscars, plecos, OBs, dojo loaches, clown loaches, goldfish and Jack Dempsey cichlids.


Ok thanks a lot for the info. I am trying to complete the nitrogen cycle at the moment on the 6x2x2 it has one fx6 running on it do you think a fluival 407 which has been running for close to two years would instantly skip the cycle
__________________
Americancichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jacky12's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 673
Are you saying the fx6 is new? I have a pair of fx4’s, but both were secondhand and already cycled. The 125 tank & filters were in use until I got them. No fish. The seller worked in a pet store & sold them to customers.

I’m not sure about the 407 maintaining a good population of BB in an empty tank. I doubt it.
How are you cycling? The fishless way with ammonia as described by Dr. Tim? My guess is you have to follow the same steps. Could be that 407 may accelerate the process. I personally got tired of waiting for Dr. Tim & tossed in a big cycled sponge filter. This was for another tank, not the one with the two cycled Fluvals.
__________________
Jacky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Perth in Western Australia
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americancichlid View Post
Ok thanks a lot for the info. I am trying to complete the nitrogen cycle at the moment on the 6x2x2 it has one fx6 running on it do you think a fluival 407 which has been running for close to two years would instantly skip the cycle
If the Fluval 407 has been running on an aquarium with fish in, and there is another filter on that tank where the filter came from, then moving it to the new tank should help speed up the cycling process and deal with any ammonia in the water within a few days. Then you could add some fish assuming ammonia is kept at 0ppm.
__________________
Colin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jacky12's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 673
Since you’re interested in American Cichlids I just snapped a shot of the only one I own for you. He is a Texan and I call him Tex. He actually has some blue in those dots, but he was at the shady end of the tank & when I turned on the light, he swam off. He lives in a 90 G with ~20 African Cichlids and OBs.

No idea why the pic’s rotated around! He was swimming horizontally.
__________________
Jacky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,863
One of the tough things with American Cichlids is that they tend to be more territorial than some of the other Cichlid families so you are going to need to keep a lot of rockwork and/or hiding places for them to make territories.
As for how many can you keep, it will all depend on how many territories you can make and which cichlids you are keeping. For some species, 1 could take up the whole tank. For others, they may take up smaller territories so you can have a lot in a long tank.
There's just no way to definitively answer your question.
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jacky12's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 673
Andy, mine hides out most of the time. Once Tex hid out so well that I didn’t see him for several days and worried the others whacked him in the still of the night, although I’ve never observed aggression among this group. I was about to do a tank shakedown (remove plants & hides) to search for him, but he eventually emerged & is fine. I wonder if he was a brooding female or what, as during this period Tex did not surface to eat. Usually he pigs down the chow. I have no idea if an American cichlid can even breed with the peacocks or OB peacocks or not, but the behavior was unusual. He/she’s my favorite fish in that tank. Someone gave me Tex & 6 peacocks about a year ago. This fish is slowly growing and very pretty.
__________________
Jacky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky12 View Post
Andy, mine hides out most of the time. Once Tex hid out so well that I didnít see him for several days and worried the others whacked him in the still of the night, although Iíve never observed aggression among this group. I was about to do a tank shakedown (remove plants & hides) to search for him, but he eventually emerged & is fine. I wonder if he was a brooding female or what, as during this period Tex did not surface to eat. Usually he pigs down the chow. I have no idea if an American cichlid can even breed with the peacocks or OB peacocks or not, but the behavior was unusual. He/sheís my favorite fish in that tank. Someone gave me Tex & 6 peacocks about a year ago. This fish is slowly growing and very pretty.
I don't believe they can successfully spawn since they are of different species coming from different waters and countries. This doesn't mean that if your Tex is a female, that she didn't lay eggs on her own and was just caring for them until they died off.
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jacky12's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 673
More likely she whipped those eggs into an omelette and didn’t need extra food. That’s what my severums have been known to do.
__________________
Jacky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky12 View Post
More likely she whipped those eggs into an omelette and didnít need extra food. Thatís what my severums have been known to do.
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Americancichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Uk
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky12 View Post
More likely she whipped those eggs into an omelette and didnít need extra food. Thatís what my severums have been known to do.


That is most likely. Texas cichlids can be very aggressive and even more so when they have fry, so you probably would have spotted Tex attacking fish away.Based on that fact alone I would say she or he did not have any fry. Another thing is that they are fish from completely different continents which means it is even more unlikely for them to breed. I would imagine that the only cichlid which can maybe cross breed with cichlids from different continents is the Convict. But if the Texas has had fry that is super strange.
__________________
Americancichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:06 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Americancichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Uk
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_T View Post
If the Fluval 407 has been running on an aquarium with fish in, and there is another filter on that tank where the filter came from, then moving it to the new tank should help speed up the cycling process and deal with any ammonia in the water within a few days. Then you could add some fish assuming ammonia is kept at 0ppm.


Ok that is very helpful thanks a lot.
__________________
Americancichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Americancichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Uk
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
One of the tough things with American Cichlids is that they tend to be more territorial than some of the other Cichlid families so you are going to need to keep a lot of rockwork and/or hiding places for them to make territories.

As for how many can you keep, it will all depend on how many territories you can make and which cichlids you are keeping. For some species, 1 could take up the whole tank. For others, they may take up smaller territories so you can have a lot in a long tank.

There's just no way to definitively answer your question.


That is very helpful thanks a lot.
__________________
Americancichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jacky12's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 673
AmericanCichlid, here's the pic of my Texan that rotated 180 when uploaded yesterday from the iPad, so i deleted it. I'm trying on the laptop today. too bad the cam isn't picking up the iridescent blue dots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389[5000]znew tex.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	324993  
__________________
Jacky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 11:21 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Perth in Western Australia
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky12 View Post
AmericanCichlid, here's the pic of my Texan that rotated 180 when uploaded yesterday from the iPad, so i deleted it. I'm trying on the laptop today. too bad the cam isn't picking up the iridescent blue dots.
It's almost like a black & white photo. Still good tho.
How did you manage to get the image to be the right way up?
I notice lots of images end up sideways on here.
__________________
Colin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 12:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jacky12's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 673
I emailed the image from the iPad to the laptop & uploaded it from there.
She sure does look grey! And she has shiny blue dots.
__________________
Jacky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
180 gallon, aquarium, cichlid, cichlids, gallon, ich, large

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have a 180 gallon with African cichlids LostInFish Cichlid Discussion 14 08-17-2014 09:34 PM
How many cichlids can I have In a 40 gallon breeder? cichlidguy14 Cichlid Discussion 2 07-11-2014 09:41 PM
How many cichlids can i have?? Lafeet85 Cichlid Discussion 55 01-31-2012 03:12 PM
how many mbuna can i have in a 72 gallon bow front aquarium jrledee Cichlid Discussion 7 01-15-2012 10:29 AM
Can you use pond filters on a large FW aquarium? FantailMermaid General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 2 08-24-2004 12:34 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.