Inconsistent Water Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if it is bad to inconsistently do water changes.

I am currently a student living on campus (away from home) I come home once a week or once every two weeks depending on my schedule and school work. And I do my water change whenever I get home. So by inconsistent, I mean sometimes it will be 1 week and others it will be two weeks. I usually do 30-40% water change.

This is a 55g tank with African cichlids
- 7 yellow labs
- 5 Afra Conde
- 7 srt hongi

I have a lot of anubias nana in the tank. I also have an aqua clear 110 and a eheim 2217 running on the tank.

Have you tested your water prior to your scheduled changes, as long as the nitrates stay below 40ppm(20 is ideal) then no worries at all?

Have you tested your water prior to your scheduled changes, as long as the nitrates stay below 40ppm(20 is ideal) then no worries at all?

Most of the time I check, it ranges between 10-40. But I was wondering if the fish would stress out if they expect a water change but do not get it because I am not home.

Most of the time I check, it ranges between 10-40. But I was wondering if the fish would stress out if they expect a water change but do not get it because I am not home.

They'll be fine, but I wouldn't let the nitrate levels go any higher than that.

I would say if you dont get home for 2 weeks then i would do a larger water change than if it was a weekly one.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest a larger change... in fact, I'd be more tempted to do a few smaller changes. If nitrates get too high, you could cause more damage by rapidly changing the conditions. Perhaps that is just some bad advice passed down to me over the years, but it makes sense.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest a larger change... in fact, I'd be more tempted to do a few smaller changes. If nitrates get too high, you could cause more damage by rapidly changing the conditions. Perhaps that is just some bad advice passed down to me over the years, but it makes sense.

Thanks, that does make sense. Would you suggest maybe 1 25% on Saturday and another 25% on Sunday for the two weeks? Or should it be higher?

JMO, of course, but if they're not over 40, i'd do a normal change (50%?)... but if they're higher,i'd break it up in to two or three 25%. Just remember that two 25% changes don't equal one 50% change... it's more like 43.75% (splitting hairs, I know).

JMO, of course, but if they're not over 40, i'd do a normal change (50%?)... but if they're higher,i'd break it up in to two or three 25%. Just remember that two 25% changes don't equal one 50% change... it's more like 43.75% (splitting hairs, I know).

That makes sense. If its 20-40, a 50% should be fine?

How often should I clean my canister? I have the filter floss that seems to absorb a lot of debris

Back
Top Bottom